Darn chick clique!

Beccazon

Crowing
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan Thumb
I'll tell you what. Integrating docs is so much easier than integrating a Chickens LOL. I mean I knew it would be a process. But for the love of Pete, these poor banties are never gonna get to join the party! I have a flock of 10 mixed 3 month old chickens in one coop with a large run. Attached is another large run for the ducks who enter the same coop, which is divided, by a side enterance. The 7 mixed ducks are comprised of the 2 Pekins and a Khacki Campbell I started with and were raised all together from brooder to coop until just a few weeks ago when I split the housing. A month in, I added 2 Pekins who were raised in adjoining space and 2 rouens 2 weeks later with very little issue. Today I added the last of the ducks...my two 1 month old runners! Aside from a little bossiness from my mouthy leader...the Campbell, Mocha...they have integrated wonderfully.

During this time, I got 2 bantams. They are now 2 months old and still crazy tiny! And beautiful! Anyhow, one has escaped their small enclosure which is a sectioned off area in the middle of the 2 runs, separated only by fencing and with it's own entrance to the same coop with it's own visible but enclosed space. Each time she ventures out, she is chased and pecked at by about half of the flock. Sigh! I save her. She doesn't try again for a few weeks. Today since I moved the youngest ducks from that small enclosure they shared with the banties, I thought I would leave the doir opened to see if they could join the flock in a chill manner. Nope. However, they did find their way right back to their safe area and I closed the gate. I made an entrance thru their run area that they could traverse if they chose but the flock can not fit through. They have not ventured out again yet.

Makes me sad. They have been fully visible IN and OUT of the coop, nearly a part of the flock. Once in a blue moon one of my RIRs drop in on the banties accidentally in the coop with no issue til I notice and remove her. But I'll be darned if I can get these chickens to be decent to the bantams. The "babies" want so bad to be with the flock. But they are like a moody high school clique when it comes to those lil nuggets. Otherwise my flock is very human tolerant and some are even friendly. I encourage interaction with us but don't force it. My RIRs are my most docile and friendly by far.

I wish my ducks' inclusive nature would rub off on my chickens so these two lil pretty girls could have a funner life in a bigger space and the commradery of others. Grrr!!

I have had nothing but trouble integrating bantams as well...and I've been at this for nearly 10 years.

If they are different, like a Silkie, there is little hope the large fowl breeds will ever accept them. Plus, Silkies have that darn vaulted skull that is so vulnerable to concussion when the nosy hens can't resist pecking their crest.

My bantam Cochins waddle rather than walk which makes them look so very funny, and hazed, as well as great hawk bait.

Even my mix breed Cochin-Barnevelder, who have feathered feet, raised in hope of better integration of my small brooding fleet, are still hazed. (The rooster had no trouble integrating with the bantams ;))

So I hear your pain. I have SEEN friends with bantams running around in the mixed flock...usually it is a very plucky bantam game rooster who has robust dreams, though often dashed. Games seem to do better as they simply have more perky temperaments.

But a docile bantam is steam rolled in my experience.

Hoping they will eventually work it out, or you'll have to do what I did. Hubby built a bantam hutch...it does mean more chickens as you have more coops to fill. :clap

Keep us posted.
LofMc

:lau
Yes I do have one plucky lil clucker of my 2 banties. The other is tiny but speedy lol. Boots, my booted Bantam prolly looks like a treat as she is a mille fleur. She is fiesty and a bit bigger than Nugget. Lol so named for her teeniness. She is an OEG bantam I am told. And thru my own research I assume she is a silver duckwing. And I am SO down with building a bantam only coop. My man would tell you NOT to tempt my addiction! Lol

I like them too much to risk them injury or death. The others are easily 3 to 4x their size and have a somewhat established pecking order. I plan to let them in for a bit each day while I am in with the flock and allow them access to their "safe" area on their own. I won't intervene unless it is necessary as I am aware they have got to do what birds do. But dropping them in and leaving it to fate isn't going to happen lol.

Their not trying to injure them, their asserting themselves, let this process happen, if you can’t handle it, you might as well build them a separate section because their GOING to get pecked, chased and probably a few good flogs (which look wya worse then it is)for the next couple of days.Adding extra roosts waterers and feeders helps.Ive out a single a bantam in with about 20 other grown adult large fowl hens with NO issue, one fight and that was it.Your birds are young still so I don’t see this lasting too long at all,supervision can be good but it probably isn’t all too necessary.;)

Back
Top Bottom