Darned if you do...darned if you do something else

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
barnie.gif
There really isn't any way to completely guarantee your chicks' safety no matter how much you try. The safety precautions you take to protect them from one type of danger can leave them vulnerable to some other peril.

It seems guess the best thing to do is simply try your best to eliminate all the problems you can, try to provide the ideal conditions, and leave the rest up to God... and Ol' Murphy.

I'm frustrated now over the recent loss of one of our new-hatched ducklings. One of my Khakis hatched out 4 adorable lil' fuzzy ducklings, they're so cute to see paddling around their pool with their tiny webby feet we call them The Tub Toys. Most of our other ducklings were incubator-hatched or hatchery buys so it's a rare treat to see newborn baby ducklings swimming around.

The last time I had a Mama duck I let her continue to stay in the nest she built in the front yard after her 2 ducklings hatched. But something killed one of them overnight, and the drake kept biting the other one.

So this time I determined to provide a safer place for the Mama duck & her babes. I keep them in a dog crate in the duck's yard at night, and let them out after all the other ducks leave their houses and go out of their duck yard to free-range the rest of the day. That way they have the whole duck yard and pool to themselves for the day, and I shoo them back into the dog crate at night before we let the rest of the ducks back in.

It sounds like a wonderful plan, doesn't it? Except...
...it seems that the Mama duck stepped on one of her ducklings while in the crate & killed it!
hit.gif

I'm not sure, but it was just dead & cold with its neck bent back at the back of the dog crate. It's a rather large crate with plenty of room for them all, but this ducky just must have not been able to move fast enough away from its Mama's feet. Poor lil' Tub Toy.

Who knows? It could have been a quitter anyway, with some lack of internal strength & would have died anyway. But after taking all these measures to try & insure their safety it's extra sad to have lost one anyway.

I'm not writing this to garner sympathy as much as to reassure others. Poop happens when you keep poultry. Both the stuff that sticks to your shoes and the stuff that happens despite your best efforts.
hmm.png

That's so true. You try to do your best by your ducks, chickens, cats, dogs, whatever... And sometimes fate just doesn't play along. That's life!
hmm.png
And I although you may not want it...I am sorry to hear about your duckling...

I'm so sorry to hear about your ducky.

I'm sure just about everybody here knows the feeling of loosing a little bird. I know I do... I came home from work Wednesday and found one of my week-old Red Star chicks dead in the brooder.

I lost the little yellow faced chick that hatched in the rain, Monday morning before last. It happens sometimes and you're right, no matter what we do...

Be glad of the ones you do have and know you are doing your best.

Thank you for the kind words. And yes, things like this sure do make me all the more grateful for the chicks & ducklings still here. Even more, it makes me grateful for all the many other blessings I have including the fact that I don't NEED each & every bird for my survival. I think of homesteaders & pioneers back in the day when they depended upon their livestock to sustain their lives. There weren't any hatcheries or local feed stores from which to order new chicks, certainly no BYC where they could find other poultry keepers in their neighborhoods.

Of course there are folks in some parts of the world today who still do live like this & who are even more devastated when they lose a bird, or an egg fails to hatch. I pray for special protection for their flocks, and extra wisdom for them in supplying their care.

Back
Top Bottom