Dates on Feed Bag

I'm now aware of the Mill date on the feed bag but recently found another date. Can anyone explain? Guess I should have asked when I purchased the bag ... Yes I'm aware it's "dated". I've been told Dels are sent what TSC sends them :( I was having issues with feed mites last summer, now I freeze the whole bag & take out 2gal ziplock bags of feed as I need. Thank you in advance ...
View attachment 1315613 View attachment 1315614
The mill date is what is stamped on the white seam tape and is Dec 15, 2017. I don't know what the other stamp means exactly but it appears to be information about the purchase order and includes a range of dates. Perhaps their current supply contract runs 3/23/17 - 4/24/26. I wouldn't think that stamp calls into question the mill date at all.

Got ya, Lazy Gardener, not disputing what you say. I love Harvey Ussery & his info & I'm sure his expert's advice is sound, but he also recommends feeding whole grain, which was quite the rage a few years ago on here & now it is discouraged! TSC around here is notorious for old feed. My feed store is much better, but it gets trickier when you order a special feed that they don't carry from their distributor. As far as flock problems, I agree there is much talk on here about that, but I have never had many problems & didn't even look at dates 25 years ago! Maybe I was just lucky. Have said many times, if I had all the problems others seem to have, I wouldn't still be keeping chickens! Just don't know where people can get really fresh feeds in some locations.

I wouldn't call TSC.
I would call the producer of the feed.
If your TSC peeps are anything like mine they won't be able to give you answer.
Call the manufacture of the bad of feed.

Manufacturers of feed know they could be sitting on shelves for a few months, and add Preservatives to keep feed fresh and vitamins from oxidizing when feed is properly stored.
I have fed feed to my hens that was 5 months old, without any ill effects or slowing of egg production. I would not buy feed that couldn't be consumed within 6 months of mill date.
I opened a 40# bag of feed earlier this week with a mill date of December 11,2017. It smells terrific, a nice clean fresh recently milled smell. This bag was milled 3 1/2 months ago.
I have a 6 Gallon container in the storage area of my coop. I dump a half bag in it when I need to refill my 12# feeder. I keep the half bag tightly closed (get the air out, even in the unopened bag), in the coolest room of my house. 20180330_131200.jpg . As you can see I have another full bag,(with the same mill date) under the opened bag.
This is a pic of my girls dust bathing yesterday. 20180329_111216.jpg . They are 2 years old today,(I got them as day old chicks), and they have never been given any antibiotics, ACV, vitamins, Save a Chick, or Nuti-Drench.
I do buy the freshest bags of my particular feed in the store. I only have 4 chickens so I don't buy feed over 3 months old, if the feed is older, I would go to another store. GC

I wouldn't call TSC.
I would call the producer of the feed.
If your TSC peeps are anything like mine they won't be able to give you answer.
Call the manufacture of the bad of feed.

Haven't heard from TSC (email), can't find the phone number for it's Corporate Office. Not sure which TSC Dels get their feed from but as Kiki says, it could be coming straight from the Manufacture ... Will try contacting Purina :)

I'm now aware of the Mill date on the feed bag but recently found another date. Can anyone explain? Guess I should have asked when I purchased the bag ... Yes I'm aware it's "dated". I've been told Dels are sent what TSC sends them :( I was having issues with feed mites last summer, now I freeze the whole bag & take out 2gal ziplock bags of feed as I need. Thank you in advance ...
View attachment 1315613 View attachment 1315614
Purina Flock Raiser and Layena feeds stored according to manufacturers recommendations will be fine up to six months.

Got ya, Lazy Gardener, not disputing what you say. I love Harvey Ussery & his info & I'm sure his expert's advice is sound, but he also recommends feeding whole grain, which was quite the rage a few years ago on here & now it is discouraged! TSC around here is notorious for old feed. My feed store is much better, but it gets trickier when you order a special feed that they don't carry from their distributor. As far as flock problems, I agree there is much talk on here about that, but I have never had many problems & didn't even look at dates 25 years ago! Maybe I was just lucky. Have said many times, if I had all the problems others seem to have, I wouldn't still be keeping chickens! Just don't know where people can get really fresh feeds in some locations.
Who is discouraging feeding whole grains and why?

Who is discouraging feeding whole grains and why?

Agreed. Immediately after milling, grains start to oxidize. So, it makes sense to me that feeding whole or freshly cracked grains would be preferable to feeding a finely milled product. The only reason why pelleted, crumbled, and mash feeds are popular IMO is that it's easy for the customer to dump pellets out of a bag, and not have to give it a second thought. Now, here's a question. Why is it more expensive to buy a bag of pellets which have a lot of processing involved than it is to buy whole or cracked grain feeds which have been blended to provide the same nutrients?

Manufactured feed has all the right amounts of minerals and vitamins added to it. That's why it's easier to feed to poultry. No guess work involved..Why there is some that's medicated, and different percentage protein feeds..:frow
Age appropriate feeds..etc..Turkey feed, Duck feed....And so on..

Back
Top Bottom