Dates on Feed Bag

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickNanny13, Mar 29, 2018.

1. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    I'm now aware of the Mill date on the feed bag but recently found another date. Can anyone explain? Guess I should have asked when I purchased the bag ... Yes I'm aware it's "dated". I've been told Dels are sent what TSC sends them :( I was having issues with feed mites last summer, now I freeze the whole bag & take out 2gal ziplock bags of feed as I need. Thank you in advance ...
    DSC04229.JPG DSC04230.JPG

4 ever Orpington and KikisGirls like this.
  2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Nanners....are these two pics of the same bag?
    Who or what is Dels...is that your feed store?

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I would contact the manufacturer. It's possible that the date on the end of the bag is the date of manufacture of the Nutri-blend feed balancer. But, I'm more inclined to believe it's the mill date. Having dealt with TSC in the past, I'd take my questions to manufacturer instead to store manager. While the manager has been willing to answer my questions, that they have feed on the shelves that is more than 2 months old, and sometimes 3 months or older tells me that I should take my questions up with the manufacturer.

4. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Top pic date Dec 15, 2017
    Bottom pic date March 23, 2017
    Top pic is mill date. Don't know about the bottom. If that's the only date, I would return the bottom bag.
    GC

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    KikisGirls likes this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Feed is generally fine 6 months after the mill date..

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Yup, those dates are off the same bag. One on the white tab, then stamped on the side of the bag. Dels is our feed store that is affiliated with TSC.

Its the same bag :(

Really?

I've tried emailing TSC but not getting anywhere, so next is pick up the phone.

:frow Thank you all for your input. I only recently noticed the date on the red (side of the bag), it's really hard to see. Wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been wiping some mud off of it.

KikisGirls likes this.
  7. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Where do you get this knowledge? From the person who benefits from selling the feed, or from an independent, educated source?

8. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Crowing

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I agree fresh feed is important, but I have also been told by Fertrell that their vitamins are good for 6 months. I have no problem feeding feed that is 3-4 months out, while I would like it fresher. It is really hard in some areas to find feed that was milled last week!The feed companies should know how long their feed works. They wouldn't stay in business long if their feed wasn't working for consumers. Where did we learn that food is only good for a month? Just asking!

ChickNanny13 and KikisGirls like this.
  9. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I have quoted my source often. An independent poultry feed and nutrition expert quoted in Harvey Ussery's book, The Small Scale Poultry Flock. I accept the knowledge and expertise of this independent expert over any info fed to us by the feed manufacturers. As for feed working or not working for customers, how many threads are dedicated to folks with woes about feather picking and blood shed in their flocks? How many threads dedicated to chicks with wry neck, crooked toes, and other issues? Do a search related to congenital abnormalities, and one of the primary causes cited is malnutrition in the breeder stock. I'm on my way to work, so don't have time to cite my source for yet the umpteenth time, but the info is there if any one cares to do a thread search for it. I have bolded the words which should locate my previous posts.

10. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    As for feed companies staying in business when selling rancid feed. It's unconscionable that they can and do stay in business when doing that very thing. I've walked out of TSC, leaving dusty bags on the shelf that are 3 - 4 months old. The smaller feed stores are even more notorious. If customers accept crap that is what they will continue to pay for and receive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: