Daughter's dog killed one of our babies, not sure what to do with her partner.

Digitalmocking

In the Brooder
May 19, 2016
We started a flock with 4 chickens in April. By late May we were pretty certain we had a rooster (turns out we didn't, just had a really bitchy buff orpinton) in the bunch so we got two more chicks, brooded them and recently started introducing them to the other 4 girls. This had been going poorly, we basically had a flock of 4 and then the two babies.

This morning our daughter's dog got out and killed one of the babies and we're not sure what to do. The one baby left just seems so lost and the other 4 girls peck at her the instant she comes close.

Just looking for advice, or hopefully someone to tell me this will work out. It's been a rough morning on our kids.

So ether the dog gets locked up or your chickens. The coop should be safe. Take the chick away from the hens to the house and rais her until she is big and strong enough to stand up to those other hens.

Raven

So ether the dog gets locked up or your chickens. The coop should be safe. Take the chick away from the hens to the house and rais her until she is big and strong enough to stand up to those other hens.

Raven

I agree with Raven but since chickens are flock birds I feel sorry for one raised alone although there were times it happened accidently and I had one.
If you can find someone with some the same age and is willing to part with ONE, she might enjoy having a friend. Also, when you put her in with the rest of the flock, it is easier to introduce two than a lone one.
I said get her one friend, not two, because if you get two who have been together, than yours will be the odd man out.
Good luck.

How old is the single chick?

You can try a "see but don't touch method" put her in a cage/kennel with her own food and water. Place the cage in the run or if you free range, put it in some shade where the other chickens can see her but not "touch". At treat time, but the treats near her cage so the others have to "interact" with her. The idea is for everyone to get used to her without being able to hurt her. Chickens view anyone new as a threat to the flock and it will usually disrupt the pecking order.

The baby will be lonely, so as suggested, if you can find her a buddy that would be great. In the mean time you can hang an unbreakable mirror and place a stuffed animal with her. She can admire herself and snuggle.

There are many articles/threads her on BYC about integrating a lone chicken with a flock. Just search at the top.

is it a hen or a rooster
They're all hens, we can't have roosters in city limits.

The alone one is having a really hard time. The flock of 4 won't let her even near food, so we've set her own little safe area up, but she just won't stop this distressed peeping. :( Who would have thought a chicken could emote like that.

Back
Top Bottom