Day 1 close call with hawk

DaWookie

Songster
Oct 22, 2018
Central texas
Howdy folks, today was my first day letting the ladies outside, and within an hour i spotted a hawk. He was on a lamp post, staring at my girls. My adorable idiots were just staring at it. I shouted something at it that would make the devil blush and it flew away. It was huge! I proceed to cover the chicken run with netting, and hanged several CDs. i let the girls back out, i didnt have anything better to do but watch them anyway.

I plan to pull out all the stops tomorrow, ill have the entire run criss crossed with fishing line tomorrow. More Cds, maybe a scarecrow/ fake owl. I want your best hawk prevention methods! My chicken run will be fairly easy to secure, but the main free range area (my large backyard) will be more difficult.

One last thing, when putting them back in the coop, i had one chicken decide she was better off on her own and ran off into the woods. she knew what she was doing, all the other runners would turn around before hitting the woods. She keeps coming back but wont let me near her. I dont have a net, any suggestions? maybe a night outside will make her think again, but i dont want to lose her/ let all the predators know poultry is on the menu

Start with short periods of time free ranging. Practice herding them in. I use a rake. Anything that expands your arm length is good. Go slowly and get them used to it. I always treated them after. You could get a can and put pebbles or coins in it. I used a empty dog food can and put one of those plastic lids on it. Shake the can and call them into the run. Again give treats. Chickens are very food driven. Best wishes

:barnieHawks! I hung CD’s in my tree and low and behold haven’t had any red tails in my yard. The truth of it is that the juvenile hawks were run off by their Mother. She’s been nesting in a cemetery by my house for the last 5 years. She’s mature and hunts in the meadows. She’s huge and I never caught her around my yard.
However the CD’s did little to discourage the Harrison hawks which I’ve only seen this year for the first time. Bigger way bigger than red tails.
Sigh...
Enclose your coop on top. Be with them when they’re out, yeah I know. I’ve built Hawk hideouts and planted bushes for cover. Mine don’t leave my fenced yard. 1/3 of an acre. It’s a crap-shoot if they are anywhere other than a secured coop.
:barnie I hate them hawks!

Back
Top Bottom