Day 1: Tell us where you bought your feed. *To be eligible to win you must post between May 2 – 16,

I longer am feeding Purina Layena, I started to feed it before the contest began. I started have poor quality egg where the shells just we're not very strong just a small hit broke the shell and at the same time the girls slowed way down laying then it really hit the wrinkled and then soft eggs came then I had some real weird eggs. So I went back to dumor and with in just a short period of time I was getting strong eggs again except in one chicken, I pray that I didn't ruin her. I will never change again especially to Purina, a friend of mine who has been in chickens way longer than me asked me not to change foods I sure learned a big lesson, it is is not broke don't fix it!! It was the only thing that I changed was the food so why all the problems? I just don't have an answer. Just watch your girls closely.

I longer am feeding Purina Layena, I started to feed it before the contest began. I started have poor quality egg where the shells just we're not very strong just a small hit broke the shell and at the same time the girls slowed way down laying then it really hit the wrinkled and then soft eggs came then I had some real weird eggs. So I went back to dumor and with in just a short period of time I was getting strong eggs again except in one chicken, I pray that I didn't ruin her. I will never change again especially to Purina, a friend of mine who has been in chickens way longer than me asked me not to change foods I sure learned a big lesson, it is is not broke don't fix it!! It was the only thing that I changed was the food so why all the problems? I just don't have an answer. Just watch your girls closely.

Just an FYI unless things have changed recently Dumor is made by Purina...

I, too, am no longer feeding Layena with the added oyster shell. I did buy a 2nd bag to extend the "trial" just to give it a fair chance, but I am not pleased. The eggs that were a bit soft got no better, in fact, some got worse with wrinkles and such, and the hens that were OK to begin with developed warts/pimples/growths on the eggs that made for not such great selling features.
Took the challenge, lost. Wonder if Purina will want to see some of the shells or even reply?
Paula in CT

I thought I was crazy, my chickens have started to have problems with their eggs too. Soft or no shells, and just not rock hard like they use to be. I still put out oyster shells and could not understand what was going on. I got a new feeder and I thought they couldn't get at the food properly but now I am thinking the food. I would have thought it was just fine with the extra calcium but something seems to be blocking the absorption of the calcium. I did like the smaller size of the feed and it smelled good, but will have to try something different. Contest was a good idea, but now I think we were guinea pigs.

Not pleased if we were used as guinea pigs. I thought better of Purina than to have them do that to us. I am going to contact them and see what type of reply I get.
Paula in CT
We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience. Please call us at 1-800-227-8941 so we can discuss with you. Thank you.

I thought I was crazy, my chickens have started to have problems with their eggs too. Soft or no shells, and just not rock hard like they use to be. I still put out oyster shells and could not understand what was going on. I got a new feeder and I thought they couldn't get at the food properly but now I am thinking the food. I would have thought it was just fine with the extra calcium but something seems to be blocking the absorption of the calcium. I did like the smaller size of the feed and it smelled good, but will have to try something different. Contest was a good idea, but now I think we were guinea pigs.
We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience. Please call us at 1-800-227-8941 so we can discuss with you. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom