Day 1

jlmccann

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2020
This is our first day out of the incubator and the temperature of our heat lamp is reading a little lower than I'd like but we also have it set across from the heat lamp and a little bit pushed back because in other places the ducklings were trying to eat the thermometer. Right now they're not exactly under the heat lamp there a little off side so I would assume they're fine. But I feel the need to cover up most of the top to keep them warm. Is this enough ventilation? I've only left enough opening to not burn the sheets down that are surrounding the top. They're in a large storage tupperware.
IMG_20200608_202304493.jpg

I would take all the green blanket away.
Not only is it a fire hazard, but over heating and not good air circulation kills more chicks than not.
Let the chicks self adjust by being able to move from the heat lamp to cooler areas of the tote.
if you must cover half of the tote top, choose something less flammable and make it stiff like a piece of plexiglass. A blanket or towel risks it falling in on top of them.
Good luck!

Not only is it a fire hazard, but over heating and not good air circulation kills more chicks than not.
Let the chicks self adjust by being able to move from the heat lamp to cooler areas of the tote.
if you must cover half of the tote top, choose something less flammable and make it stiff like a piece of plexiglass. A blanket or towel risks it falling in on top of them.
Good luck!
Good luck!
This is our first day out of the incubator and the temperature of our heat lamp is reading a little lower than I'd like but we also have it set across from the heat lamp and a little bit pushed back because in other places the ducklings were trying to eat the thermometer. Right now they're not exactly under the heat lamp there a little off side so I would assume they're fine. But I feel the need to cover up most of the top to keep them warm. Is this enough ventilation? I've only left enough opening to not burn the sheets down that are surrounding the top. They're in a large storage tupperware.View attachment 2184203
Good luck!

I do have an aquarium cover mesh top too didn't know if you could see that but didn't know how much heat would have escaped without it being covered.

I never used a thermometer in my brooder. You can tell a lot by watching how your ducklings react. If they are huddled under the light, they're cold. If they are as far away as they can get and panting, it is way too hot. If they are moving occasionally between the area under the light and the cooler areas of the brooder things are good for them. My chicks tended to sleep a bit to the side of the light but never directly underneath. Also, the few times my chicks were cold (my light blew at one point and my hubby was getting a replacement) they let me know with some loud/ distressed cheeping. I wouldn't risk the lack of air circulation unless they seem distressed by the cold.

Back
Top Bottom