Day 12- Air cell question?

inufreecs

Songster
Jun 17, 2015
Hi, this is the first time i’m using an incubator to hatch eggs and second time i’ve been able to candle and watch as the chicks grow inside! However because my hen had taken care of them the first time i‘m not sure what i should be looking for. I’ve been very anxious about the humidity in my incubator because it tends to stick between 45-55% humidity for more than 7 hours before suddenly dropping to 30%. After which i quickly bring it back up. As for the temperature it is very steady so i’m not worried about it at all.

As for my question does this seem like a good air cell size for a day 11-12 egg? I’m making sure now as lockdown is coming very soon and if there are any changes to humidity i need to make i need to do it now. Thank you!

A6CD3C72-ED66-42FD-9EA8-ECDFFBD79ECA.jpeg
01896AD6-606F-48EC-9F92-324F0C1FBA13.jpeg

Hi, this is the first time i’m using an incubator to hatch eggs and second time i’ve been able to candle and watch as the chicks grow inside! However because my hen had taken care of them the first time i‘m not sure what i should be looking for. I’ve been very anxious about the humidity in my incubator because it tends to stick between 45-55% humidity for more than 7 hours before suddenly dropping to 30%. After which i quickly bring it back up. As for the temperature it is very steady so i’m not worried about it at all.

As for my question does this seem like a good air cell size for a day 11-12 egg? I’m making sure now as lockdown is coming very soon and if there are any changes to humidity i need to make i need to do it now. Thank you!

View attachment 2069095View attachment 2069096
That looks so nice, keep it up. You're gonna have your chicks soon. :D:D:D

To me the air cell looks to be a little on the small side but I tend to err on the side of a little large than a little small (I've had better luck hatching this way). 30% throughout actually isn't a bad humidity for me and results in decent air cells. I've had issues at an average of around 40% and up. in your position I'd run dry until lockdown to try to grow those air cells. This is just my opinion of course and what works for some doesn't always work for others.

Here's a link to a diagram off google of proper air cell size, might be useful in deciding what you'd like to do?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0e/91/24/0e912499ca38f5968bdf57b1a2f517c3.gif
Good luck with your first hatch, I hope it goes very well! :D

To me the air cell looks to be a little on the small side but I tend to err on the side of a little large than a little small (I've had better luck hatching this way). 30% throughout actually isn't a bad humidity for me and results in decent air cells. I've had issues at an average of around 40% and up. in your position I'd run dry until lockdown to try to grow those air cells. This is just my opinion of course and what works for some doesn't always work for others.

Here's a link to a diagram off google of proper air cell size, might be useful in deciding what you'd like to do?

Yes, i see the difference once i look at the diagram. I think what i’ll do is just go lower between 30 and 40 to increase the air cell size like you said. Thank you!:D

I’ve been running the incubator between 25% and 40% and was wondering how the eggs are looking. It’s now day 17 and i feel one egg looks ok the others still have small air cells. I could run it completely dry if its still small but i’m not sure if it will damage the chicks. Running dry brings the humidity between 12% and 16%
6ACB9C1C-F919-484F-91C3-62E54D559BA8.jpeg 69D939A9-05A1-4A08-AEC5-C711373C0939.jpeg D6C88A1A-C56E-4B4A-909A-ACF41D5C490E.jpeg 14763A0C-9001-46E9-852D-F260B139633F.jpeg

Hi, I am currently incubating eggs now as well. I am day 14 and my air cells look larger than your day 17 photo. Actually, 2 of your photos (1st and last) looks decent, I think.

This is only my second time incubating chick eggs. My first hatch the babies hatched super wet. 4 out of 6 hatched. 1 died a day later and the other 3 seemed to have lots of "eggwhite" on them and even yolk attached. This time I am trying to "dry" incubate them. When I do not add water, the humidity is around 20 to 25. I hope someone with more experience can comment. Good luck!

I’ve been running the incubator between 25% and 40% and was wondering how the eggs are looking. It’s now day 17 and i feel one egg looks ok the others still have small air cells. I could run it completely dry if its still small but i’m not sure if it will damage the chicks. Running dry brings the humidity between 12% and 16%
View attachment 2075890View attachment 2075891View attachment 2075892View attachment 2075893

I agree with MLG1900 the first and last photo are looking like they are on the right track. The two middle photos are still on the small side. I'm unsure of how really low humidity would affect the eggs, maybe someone with more experience could answer. Perhaps if you added something like a small cup of water or a sponge to try to aim for around 20-25% humidity for a couple days that would be a good in between. I've had my humidity drop to around 20% and still got good hatches.

Back
Top Bottom