day 13... candling?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mibotsu, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    so i was gonna do it. very worried, not sure if my eggs were fertile [​IMG] , i assume they were. they are from my birds.

i have a nice LED flashlight, very bright, i've "rigged" a cone onto it so that it will be the size of the egg.

i know there is some info around here somewhere on candling, anyone got the link, i've searced but just can't seem to find it.

not sure what i am looking for [​IMG]

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Dont know about the link, but if your day 13, you should'nt be able to see much but a air sack in one end. the rest should be dark cuz of a big O'l bird in there block'n out the light... Infertiles will glow greenish as a rule. coturnix are tough to candle... Good luck, Bill

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You want to shine the light into the top (big end where the air cell should be). If the egg is developed you won't see anything but black where the chick is and clear where the air cell is. There could be a tiny area of clear on the small (pointy) end of the egg, but that's normal (you won't see this unless you turn the egg on its side or shine the light at the bottom). If the eggs have more clear in them or are completely clear then they are no good.

4. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I just punch out the lens in the flashlight and use that, makes it a little brighter and the egg can sit down inside of it. Just make sure it doesn't tough the bulb.

5. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:actually, thats a good idea, never thought of that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by