Day 13 of my first incubating project and . . .

LoupGarou

Songster
11 Years
Oct 15, 2008
I'm a bit disappointed with the way things are going. I thought I ordered my incubator in plenty of time and it actually arrived three days after my first eggs did. The eggs that I wanted the most were the last to arrive (through no fault of the shipper, I might add) and my hatch rate looks as if it will be really low. The friend I went to stay with over a weekend for a dog show broke her knee and now I'm staying with her until she's healed--she probably won't be released for work until after my chicks are hatched and I don't know how receptive she will be to a brooder in her kennel room. However, with all that said:

1) I learned a whole lot this time around about what to do and what not to do

2) About half of those first 8 eggs had signs of life the last time I checked, with three of them having very active chicks inside--YAY!

3) About half of those most desired eggs show signs of development and one had a very active chick inside--YAY!

4) I've only dropped on egg candling and that was a clear one

5) My being away from the house gives me limited amounts of time to candle eggs, keeping them safe from my butterfingers . . .

and

6) The difference in time between the first eggs going into the incubator and the last ones going in forces me to buy a second incubator for hatching . . .

All in all, despite being disappointed in what looks like is going to be a poor hatch rate, I can't complain that much. Plus, I'm looking forward to my next attempt already! Does this make me a budding addict?

Yeah, I knew that going in. I was hoping for about 50%, to be honest, but with all of the things that went on with this particular group of eggs, I'm happy that I have the possibility of getting anything despite being disappointed that it's unlikely that I'll be getting many chicks.

Onward and upward!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom