Day 14 Candling Question

kylemarie81

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 21, 2013
Washington
Hello,

I was hoping that someone with more candling experience could tell me why a chicken egg I've incubated looks the way it does.

It's day 14 and at candling I noted the air cell in the large end of the egg. However, there is what looks like an air cell in the pointy end as well. The middle of the egg is completely uniformly dark all the way around. This is the only egg of 15 that looks like this.

Thanks,
Kyle

Last edited:
Hello,

I was hoping that someone with more candling experience could tell me why a chicken egg I've incubated looks the way it does.

It's day 14 and at candling I noted the air cell in the large end of the egg. However, there is what looks like an air cell in the pointy end as well. The middle of the egg is completely uniformly dark all the way around. This is the only egg of 15 that looks like this.

Thanks,
Kyle
what is the source of the eggs?

could it have started developing before the others?

is it air for sure? or is it just fluid below a developing chick?

Thank you for the reply!

I picked the eggs up at a local farm. This egg is from a mixed flock of: Bantam Frizzle Cochins, Smooth Bantam Cochins, Silkies, a Mottled Houdan, and a Spangled Russian Orloff. I uploaded a photo taken during candling on day 14. The middle section is darker looking in person.

It's fluid in the bottom, air cell at top (fat end). It seems to be behind in development for day 14 or quit early. I wouldn't give up hope on it but if others look more developed then candle it day 18. If no change toss it.

Back
Top Bottom