Day 16 - sucking up water

BLaBauve

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Georgia
I'm on day 16 of my first hatch. I'm noticing that I'm having to add a lot of water to keep the humidty up. Is this normal around day 16?

Day 18 and I am having a hard time keeping the humidity up also. Later I will be locking down and I am so hoping that I can get the humidity up and keep it as close to 70% as possible. Maybe because of a high pressure system for my area that has the outside air cool and dry. I'm sure the outside barometric pressure will also affect the eggs. Just a thought on my part. Maybe someone with more experience has the answer.
Good luck to you and your peeps.

I used sponges and rags in pans of water to raise the humidity the last 3 days. I also would mist the inside of the incubator through the vent holes if it started to drop below 65. Some people don't like the idea of the misting, but it worked well for me. Out of 10 eggs, 9 hatched, and the other one looked to have quit early on.

During lockdown you can take plastic tubing, like fish tank tubing, and run it through the vents into the water containers. I used a large syringe to replace the water when needed. When misting (if you do) or adding water, always use warm water, or at least the temp of the incubator.

It is the surface area of the water, not the depth, that will raise your humidity.

You may be able to use a 'wick'....try taking a strip of rag, put one end into a cup of water, and run the strip up over your wire divider, etc. It adds a LOT of humidity FAST, in my experience. It was actually too much for my little 'bator but might suit yours.

Back
Top Bottom