Day 17 Candled-Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spencer creek, Jan 5, 2009.

1. spencer creek

spencer creek Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    I am due Thursday PM. I candled last night, day 17. Don't know if I should have...I will not touch them again. I am turning them tonight adding some wet sponges to bring up my humidity and leaving them alone.

I am down to 4, from 7. My question. The eggs are now solid black, with a straight line cut across the end that is clear. I am assuming that is the air pocket. Does this sound right? They went from veiny to just black. I do not see any movement. It's as though someone painted the inside of 80% of the egg black.

Hoping for good news. This has been the longest and most anticipated 21 days of my life............................................................

2. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    I completly understand. I have babies due for next monday the 12th. This is my first time!! [​IMG]

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Yes...that is what you will see....NOTHING but black. Sometimes, if you look closely you can see a tiny bit of veins and even occasional movement right at the top by the aircell....but not always. Hang in....[​IMG]

4. Chix-in-GA

Chix-in-GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    Well...It sounds like they have developed OK (IMO) I think you are right about the air pocket. I know my last hatch looked the same as you described...and I had a good hatch!

We all tend to worry at hatch time. I hope everything turns out good for you. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. spencer creek

spencer creek Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    RELIEF! I hope.
    Thanks everyone. Obviously this is my first time and I find myself in the basement just staring at the eggs everyday. My wife thinks I have completely lost it. Of course I am already stashing my Silkie eggs from home and have an order prepped to do it all over again. Why start with six when now I can do 12.... Why do we do this to ourselves?

6. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    That is a good egg! Keep them away from " danger" while they hatch! {aka-- small hands}

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Sounds like they are good !!! Hope you have a GREAT hatch [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by