day 17, horrific dog attack. should I bathe her?

Don't be too hard on yourself. It is very hard to figure out what is best for each animal. If she didn't make it, I would have felt bad for not putting her out of her misery.

If they are responsive - talking/clucking - giving some sign that they are fighting, I try to assist as best as I can. I am sure I have left some go too long when I should have culled earlier. She was definitely a fighter, so it came out ok this time.

No, by the time I saw that advice I had already treated her with nustock, which is a commercially available sulphur based paste. It is marketed towards horses, people have had great results on various dog skin and wound issues, and I started using it several years ago.

Also have used sulphur as a powder, both work great on very terrible wounds.

Sulphur used to be sprinkled on wounds in the civil war - it is sometimes called flowers of sulphur, is all natural and super effective.

I couldn't believe she made it either with the number of wounds and the severity - she is the chicken with the worst injuries I've ever seen that was still alive when I found her.

So it would be good to treat the rip in my girls side with Nustock? I want it to heal good, it's a wound from an eager roo.

yes, if you have it on hand. If not, order it and in the meantime, you could probably find the pure sulfur at a garden store - just make sure it is pure, and sprinkle it on. Keep your girl away from rooster and others too since they will peck at the wound if they can see it.

You know about blue kote, right?

yes, if you have it on hand.  If not, order it and in the meantime, you could probably find the pure sulfur at a garden store - just make sure it is pure, and sprinkle it on.  Keep your girl away from rooster and others too since they will peck at the wound if they can see it.

You know about blue kote, right?  
I Have It On hand (nustock) and put it on the wound. She is in the dog crate away from everyone. I have heard of blue kite just don't have any right now. Going to pick up elastic today for a saddle for the future.

yes. She just started last week, a couple months behind her sisters. I am surprised because I've heard that very severely injured hens that recover usually don't return to laying, but she is. Not more than a few times a week, but she is around 3 yrs old, or is it 4?,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom