Day 17. Not scared anymore. I HAVE WIGGLERS !!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JulieZ, Jun 2, 2012.

1. JulieZ

JulieZ Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    Have 43 eggs & today is day 17. But there are 10-15 eggs that have been advanced from the moment they were placed into incubation. They traveled from Tennessee to Florida, in the heat. I am unable to get a good photo to show what I am talking about so hopefully this explanation will do it.

The air sac has began to sink in ... like the letter U. I can not see veins, movement or anything. Just too full, too dark, inside the egg. The other eggs NEED to be in the incubator until lock down tomorrow morning. They look normal when candling. Can see movement, veins and although full, it is not like the other ones.

Should I place the advanced into another incubator & start lock down early or let it be as is ????

UPDATE: Found this video. The air sac kind of looks like this but everything is completely dark.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Crowing

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Hmm , as long as youhavent had to high humidty during the whole hatch I dont see why it would hurt them to put them into lock down early as long as you have a way to replensh the humidity durning a longer lock down period. Good luck . Someone else may know more

3. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    I would leave them be, start lockdown on day 18.

4. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    If you put them in lock down now you will be fine.

5. JulieZ

JulieZ Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    I THINK ... NOT sure ... I may have heard some egg pecking. Will keep an ear on that. IF it is confirmed without a shadow of a doubt ... the entire batch is going into lock down today. Having placed the advanced eggs to one side, the MAYBE pecking is coming from the other side.

Humidity "spiked" at 60%. Kept it around 50-58%. Temps have been .99-100.5. "Spiked" at 101 a few times. All in the safe zone. Did scramble an entire two days to keep everything balanced with tropical storm beryl came through here but other than that, nothing unusual. Turning 2-3 times per day. Found extra time a few days so I gave them an extra 4th turn.

Gotta get busy before I pull out the stethoscope ... LOL

Thanks for answering. Feels good to know there is help close by. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  6. JulieZ

JulieZ Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    Started up the 2nd bator. Getting ready for an early lock down. Followed my gut and two hours into this (?) ... EIGHT WIGGLERS ... Some from the non-advanced batch. :D

7. shardean

shardean Chirping

May 12, 2012
    Sequim, Washington
    I had eggs I started one day then added more the next...split the difference in lock down and both batches hatched...so safe to lock down 12 hours early!

8. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Songster

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    JULIE Z
    Any babys yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: