Day 17!! What do I do??!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silverfilly, Feb 12, 2008.

1. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Ok Tomorrow is the big day, 18, now I bought anouther bator to hatch them out in since I also have younger eggs in there. I have a problem keeping my humidity up without constantly puting in more water, is it ok to be opening the bator to add more water in my hatching bator? Also do I let them hatch out on the metal or do i put paper tows or something over it?

Anything else I should know/remember?

Thanks Kimberly

2. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    what kind of incubatoer do you have

3. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    what i did was i put nothing there but metal i think its better

4. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    I have rubber shelf liner in mine and how much younger are the other eggs If mine are only a couple days apart I don't move the hatching ones but thats just me

5. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Try buying some of that bumpy shelf paper at kmart so they aren't on the metal grid. The kind that has holes in it. I also fed an aquarium tube from the through the hole in the grate into the trough and then out through the hole that the turner cord was in. I used a big syringe to add water that way. I also used a wet sponge to get my humidity up. You can put your eggs in anytime on day 18 but from what I understand most wait until late 18 or early 19. And DO NOT open the bator until it is time to take the chickies out!!

Hope that helps, and good luck!!

6. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Thanks for the airline tube advise, I have some and a syringe so that should work, both of my bators are still air little giants. not to just find some flooring.

thanks guys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by