1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 18.5, getting nervous

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RonnieAtkeson, Feb 20, 2009.

1. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Ok last nite was techniqualy day 18 for me on 8 eggs. I just filled the bator up wiht water and put a rolled up tshirt in there soaked in water for humidity. Waiting for it to come up, cant seem to get it to stay outa the 40s to save my life, its in the 50s now but we'll see. I have a question though, wont the eggs sitting on the wire get a little wet now that i filled up that bator? Is it going to kill them or do i worry to much? I need someone to send me some realy super duper hatching vibes, im nervous as heck here. My next attempt will be with about 3 dozen eggs so I realy need to get my confidence built up this time [​IMG]

EDIT: If i put them in a paper egg carton do you put them in small side down like when incubating? And would that help prevent them from gettin a little wet spot off the wire?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Put them small end down in the carton, it will help keep them off the floor and is best for keep first chicks from rolling them around.
    On your humidity, I'm no help there.
    It sounds like you have done what I would do when the chicks start hatching the humidity will go up, from the wet chicks.
    I'm sending you happy healthy hatching vibes.

3. RonnieAtkeson

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Thanks Okiehen, cant tell how nervous I am at the moment. Still got a couple days to go also, the next few at work will be the longest days of my life! . Thanks for the vibes [​IMG]

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Sound like you are an the right track. So what you cooking in the bator?

5. RonnieAtkeson

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    This is my first ever hatch (im sure you know that) so I was just using some mutt eggs from the neighbors. Chances are some are silkie/ee/and god knows what else mixed. They got a big perty chantecler roo running around also. Though I just called them mutts, i love them already, does that make sense? Sense I had to open the bator to put them in an eggcarton its reading 99.1 and 59% right now. I hope the humidity goes up a few more degrees with the tempature. It doesnt usualy take long for this thing to reset it self around 99.5-100.5. So far im loving this 1588 Gensis with auto turner. I wanted to use these mixed non shipped eggs before i take the plunge and plunk dome some dough for some bbs orp bantam orp eggs ive been drooling over.

6. RonnieAtkeson

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Was I suppose to poke holes in the bottom of the egg carton, i didnt think about it and i would hate to open the bator back up.

7. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Some people some do not. I would not worry about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by