Day 18 and i can't get the humidity to rise in my incubator!

Janejfozzy

Hatching
May 19, 2015
Hi all, I'm on day 18 and have taken the turner out of the incubator. At the same time i added water to the trays in the bottom. Initially the humidity went to 65 and then slowly settled back to 55. I have added more water to the point that i can't physically fit anymore in there and it still won't rise over 55. There is plenty of condensation in there and it looks pretty damp so i really don't know whats going on :( I have covered the incubator in towels to try and keep the humidity up and i can't think what else to do. For the 18 previous to this the humidity was a steady 50-51.

Any ideas welcomed :)

Hi all, I'm on day 18 and have taken the turner out of the incubator. At the same time i added water to the trays in the bottom. Initially the humidity went to 65 and then slowly settled back to 55. I have added more water to the point that i can't physically fit anymore in there and it still won't rise over 55. There is plenty of condensation in there and it looks pretty damp so i really don't know whats going on
sad.png
I have covered the incubator in towels to try and keep the humidity up and i can't think what else to do. For the 18 previous to this the humidity was a steady 50-51.

Any ideas welcomed
smile.png

If you checked the humidity right after having it open the humidity will rise in time.

Humidity is temp related so once temp is restored and water reachs the same temp as air it will come up.....depth of water doesnt matter or could slow the process as thats more water to heat.....surface area controls humidity so maybe adding a sponge thats sticking out of the water will help
On a side note if you see condinsation then your humidity is already high......i wouldnt trust the sensor as some get funky at very high humidity levels

Hi all, I'm on day 18 and have taken the turner out of the incubator. At the same time i added water to the trays in the bottom. Initially the humidity went to 65 and then slowly settled back to 55. I have added more water to the point that i can't physically fit anymore in there and it still won't rise over 55. There is plenty of condensation in there and it looks pretty damp so i really don't know whats going on
sad.png
I have covered the incubator in towels to try and keep the humidity up and i can't think what else to do. For the 18 previous to this the humidity was a steady 50-51.

Any ideas welcomed
smile.png

Fon't trust the instruments, trust your eyes. Condensation = overly high humidity.

Did you add cold water, or lukewarm? I agree with gpop1, it will stabilize in time. If after a few hours the humidity is still under 65%, you could add a damp sponge or two. Just don't add any water in an open container that chicks could drown in when they hatch

Condensation = overly high humidity.
I think that depends on the incubator. I get condensation at 65% in the Brinsea, but the clear plastic is lower down the sides than the viewing window on a styrofoam incubator

edit: 50% for the first 18 days is a little high, but I'm sure that's what the user's manual told you to do. If you have problems with this hatch, talk to AmyLynn on your next one. She can help

Last edited:
Thanks. I initailly added the water and removed the turner this mornnig before i went to work (7.30am). Just popped home for lunch (12.15pm - i'm in the UK) and its still reading 55 so i have added more water. Its almost up to the bottom of the eggs - in fact i had to move some nearer the edges so that they wern't sitting in water. Still lots of condensation on the clear sides of the incubator, do really no idea. I thought it would've regulated itself by now.

Thanks. I initailly added the water and removed the turner this mornnig before i went to work (7.30am). Just popped home for lunch (12.15pm - i'm in the UK) and its still reading 55 so i have added more water. Its almost up to the bottom of the eggs - in fact i had to move some nearer the edges so that they wern't sitting in water. Still lots of condensation on the clear sides of the incubator, do really no idea. I thought it would've regulated itself by now.
Then I agree with Walnut Hill, your hygrometer is incorrect. That much water and condensation, your humidity should be very high

Also, just for reference, it doesn't matter if the water is 1/8" deep or 1" deep...it's the surface area that counts. I'd suggest using some sponges to wick most of the water out of the channels to remove the possibility of the eggs getting wet.

60 % humidity at 37.5 holds more water vapor than 60% humidity at 36.5. Condisation indicates there is a temp drop on the surface where the condinsation is seen. The larger the temp drop the more condinsation you will see.
Either you have a large temp diffrence or the humidity is real high making a small temp diffrence produce humidity. Try wrapping a towel around the base to see if that helps

Back
Top Bottom