Day 18 Hatch - Do I still lockdown?

JessicaDotta

Songster
Oct 27, 2020
Today is day 18 - lockdown day. I've had it marked on my day-planner since I put the eggs in the incubator.

I was saving lock-down until dark, so I could candle my eggs, draw out the air sac. I planned on putting slip-resistant drawer lining in the bottom of the incubator and lining up the eggs in a way that would allow me the best hatching view.

Then, around 5 pm, I heard this loud cheeping. I thought it was a bird outside. Eventually, I realized that sound was coming from my incubator. This little chicken hatched early on day 18 . . . .

I snatched the egg turner out ASAP, so it wouldn't injure the chick. Is it risky to still lock down my eggs the way I wanted to? I really do need to add more water. Or should I just add some water and hope no one else has pipped?

(My humidity says it's at 70 right now, but it goes from 60 to 20 overnight, and I add another squirt of water in the morning. For lock down, I was going to add enough for four days.)

Attachments

• day18hatch.jpg
    day18hatch.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 62
Well, for a whole lot of reasons, I've decided not to try to do all my "lockdown" tasks. I feel a little sad for the first chick. It might be three days before "she?" sees another chick.

You can do your lockdown tasks, just don't take too long. You want to keep the temps and humidity stable, of course, but a few minutes won't bother the chicks unless they've pipped externally.

Are you 100% sure you counted your days correctly?
If so there is zero doubt that you have at least a hotspot in your incubator.

Please buy a few more thermometers and calibrate them before your next hatch.

Have any more chicks hatched today?

Well, for a whole lot of reasons, I've decided not to try to do all my "lockdown" tasks. I feel a little sad for the first chick. It might be three days before "she?" sees another chick.
Not necessarily... They all might start hatching early.

Are you 100% sure you counted your days correctly?
If so there is zero doubt that you have at least a hotspot in your incubator.

Please buy a few more thermometers and calibrate them before your next hatch.

Have any more chicks hatched today?

I did get the days wrong. It was Day 19. Got two thermometers, but think I will upgrade my incubator. I fought humidity the entire hatch.

Today is the real day 21- six our of eggs, one pipped. Five left.

Back
Top Bottom