day 18 internal pip

Sustained

Songster
6 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Oregon
I went to candle one last time before going into lockdown. I discovered 2 out of the first 4 eggs I candled had internally pipped already. (After that I quit candling and just went into lockdown so I'm not sure how many total have internally pipped) It's only day 18... ? I wasn't expecting anything for another 2 days at least. I also could hear them peeping after I set the eggs back in the incubator. And another I didn't candle is wiggling a little bit.

If a couple hatch this early, when do I take them out of the incubator if it's supposed to be in lockdown? Just take them out quickly after 24 hours and close the lid again?

Try not to worry, chicks can survive for upto 72 hours after hatching without food and water. So they will be fine to stay in the incubator. Are the eggs of the same breed? I have found bantam eggs tend to hatch a little early anyway usually for me on day 20 then have usually finished by the end of day 21. Good luck abound hope you have some little peeps soon :jumpy

They're all silkies. Oh I'm glad to hear that! thank you for replying. I've been warring between so excited I can hardly hold still and worrying over them hatching so early. First time jitters probably
roll.png

I noticed the internal pips last night about 8pm. I still don't see any external pips on any of the eggs. It's after 10am. I know they have about 24 hours of air to get the external pip but I have no idea what time yesterday they occurred. I just noticed when I candled. How long does it usually take?

Yes it can be upto 24 hours they do the external pip when the oxygen has become low and the c02 has become high. You may not see an actual hole they usually just make a small crack in the shell first before making the hole. So unless you look very carefully you may not see it at first. Patience really is virtue when it comes to hatching eggs.

Yes it can be upto 24 hours they do the external pip when the oxygen has become low and the c02 has become high. You may not see an actual hole they usually just make a small crack in the shell first before making the hole. So unless you look very carefully you may not see it at first. Patience really is virtue when it comes to hatching eggs.

okay thank you. I won't worry so much about that then. I just didn't want them to run out of air.

The chicks know what to do its best to let nature take its course. It's their first real test to see how strong they are. Hatching is very tiring for them and Inbetween trying to hatch they have to do a lot of resting. Have you tried listening to the incubator usually once you have internal pips they start to peep and chirp that's a sure sign that they have pipped into the air cell. Try not to worry I know it's nerve wracking but there really isn't anything else to do other than wait and see :hugs

Yes I can hear the peeping loud and clear. I heard it last night too when I realized that a few had internally pipped. I'm obsessively staring into the incubator waiting for something to happen lol I know it could be a long wait but oh the excitement!
celebrate.gif

LOL I'm just the same have even given myself back ache from looking at mine all time!! It's just as exciting the more and more you do. I have to admit I don't get a lot done when they are hatching. I turn into a crazy mother hen :cd

LOL I'm just the same have even given myself back ache from looking at mine all time!! It's just as exciting the more and more you do. I have to admit I don't get a lot done when they are hatching. I turn into a crazy mother hen
D.gif
lau.gif
Yup that about sums up what's going on around here! My chickens are the only critters I have that I didn't get fully grown already and I baby my flock ridiculously I'm sure
roll.png
Don't get me wrong... I love them all but I spent the last 18 days rotating these eggs 3 times a day and constantly checking the incubator to be sure the temp and humidity were okay (Styrofoam bator) so I'm over the moon excited about my first hatch! Crazy mother hen just about covers it!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom