Day 18 - is this egg a quitter?

danceswithronin

Crowing
May 24, 2018
Alabama
20190603_225034.jpg

20190603_224830.jpg
20190603_225005.jpg

I'm pretty sure this lone egg I have quit at some point, but I wanted a second opinion.

It does indeed appear to be dead. It is significantly underdeveloped for day eighteen—if it is a chicken egg, the chorio-allantoic membrane visible at the edges should have closed completely several days ago—and the veins are much too light. I see a haze at the edges of the embryo that is a fairly reliable indicator of embryo death. Still, photos can sometimes grossly misrepresent what is really going in inside an egg, so do not take Internet advice as definitive.

It does indeed appear to be dead. It is significantly underdeveloped for day eighteen—if it is a chicken egg, the chorio-allantoic membrane visible at the edges should have closed completely several days ago—and the veins are much too light. I see a haze at the edges of the embryo that is a fairly reliable indicator of embryo death. Still, photos can sometimes grossly misrepresent what is really going in inside an egg, so do not take Internet advice as definitive.

This is what led me to believe it had quit - I have candled live eggs at day 18 and not only was the liquid part of the egg mostly dark with the chick inside, you could see significant movement. I did not see any movement in this egg when I candled it other than what could be interpreted as the dead embryo sloshing around in there.

Thanks for all the opinions guys! Since I'm so close to hatch day anyway I will go ahead and wait until day 21 just in case there are any pips, but I don't anticipate anything coming out of this egg. This egg was part of a set of five I set a week after they shipped to me, so I was already questioning their viability from the start. The other four never developed at all, and this one always looked like it was developing oddly (very side-heavy).

It all kind of worked out though, as I was going to just have to rehome this chick anyway or add it to my own flock, and I was already planning on adding a Polish chick to replace the Polish pullet I lost this weekend so I really didn't want to add two more chickens, especially if one looks like a chicken I already have (already kept back one bielefelder female chick from the hatch for myself). Now I can just add the Polish and not worry about the last egg, and enjoy the bielefelder I have. :D

Back
Top Bottom