Day 18 Lockdown Questions

DavidKerk

Songster
9 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Hi, this is my first time incubating. I am on day 13 of my incubation. I am incubating chicken eggs with a still-air Little Giant. Here's my questions about lockdown: Do I keep it at the same temperature? If I put the eggs in the incubator at 1:30p.m. on Thursday, April 11 then when do I do all the stuff required for day 18, I mean like date and time? How much water should I put in to get the humidity to 60-70%? The humidity is at 30% right now. Thanks a lot!
Here's my incubating calendar so you can figure out what day is lockdown day. (I put the eggs in the bator on Thursday, April 11 at 1:30p.m.)

Last edited:
Hi, this is my first time incubating. I am on day 13 of my incubation. I am incubating chicken eggs with a still-air Little Giant. Here's my questions about lockdown: Do I keep it at the same temperature? If I put the eggs in the incubator at 1:30p.m. on Thursday, April 11 then when do I do all the stuff required for day 18, I mean like date and time? How much water should I put in to get the humidity to 60-70%? The humidity is at 30% right now. Thanks a lot!
I started with little giant incubators, don't worry so much about the lockdown, just replace the lid as quick as you can.

you would move your eggs on the 29th. keep in mind a broody hen does not wear a watch. anytime is fine on the 29th.

your temperature should be the same, but at this point eggs are making heat so it may rise a little, lower it if it does.

I always filled the inside ring during setting, then all 3 troughs when hatching. your humidity is a touch low (you should still be fine). if you have filled all the troughs and its still low, you can add a disposable sponge. (throw it away after hatch as they harbor bacteria). put the sponge in the center of the incubator under the wire, and keep it damp. (there is a vent hole there so don't overdo it.)

some other tips:
open the incubator 15 mins a day.
if humidity is low, lightly mist the eggs with warm water (close to 99 degrees as possible)
bacteria buildup is very common in Styrofoam incubators. completely wash between hatches. I used to soak mine overnight in bleach using concrete blocks to hold it submerged. remember to take the electronics out before you do this.

So I'm on day 19 now and I have all three of the water wells full and have a wet sponge above the rack also. I have a really cheap humidity thermometer that says it is only 47ish percent humidity. I don't really trust it though. It isn't digital. What to do?

im in a more humid area in southern ohio. but i can tell you that here, you should be in good shape. if you have to open your incubator, mist your eggs very lightly with plain warm water. if 47% is the best you can get it, some will still hatch. remember they can take several hours to hatch, ive seen 24 hours to get out. resist the urge to help them.

let me know how it goes,
brian

im in a more humid area in southern ohio. but i can tell you that here, you should be in good shape. if you have to open your incubator, mist your eggs very lightly with plain warm water. if 47% is the best you can get it, some will still hatch. remember they can take several hours to hatch, ive seen 24 hours to get out. resist the urge to help them.

let me know how it goes,
brian
What day do they usually start to hatch on?

Also, I am in a fairly humid part of Michigan. I think my humidity thermometer is off. It was like 2.99 at Wal-mart so I think it is very low quaility.

Thanks!

typically day 20-21 bantams are sometimes earlier. i usually don't let anything hatch after day 23, unless its very rare or for some reason ive lost my parent stock and its the last eggs i have.

I just saw a pip almost the size of a dime! I am leaving until tomorrow at about 1:30 (then I'll be leaving again until Monday at noon.) Will the chick be okay in the incubator until Monday( or at least tomorrow)?

Back
Top Bottom