Day 19 and 1 egg is oozing yellowish boogers

srilalita

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
It's kinda gooey, but then seems to harden and fall off when the eggs were being turned. Now, since it is the last 3 days, they are not rotating and the oozing is just accumulating. Is this egg viable? Is this just a normal part of the process? If not, I wouldn't want the other chicks to eat this funk when they come out if it is not ok for them.

First timer,
Sri

It doesn't really stink.

But the exudate has increased in quantity markedly in the past day.

And to "get it out before it bursts and causes you real problems"---holy crap! That sounds awful. Can someone second this advice? I don't want to toss a perfectly ok baby chick, but BURST?! The horrors. Somebody, quick, please!

Sri

Eeek, oozing... that's a time bomb waiting to explode. Very carefully bag it and toss it. Some people can't smell rotting egg very well... until it cracks, then you'll never get the smell out.

Ok, ok! Thanks. Whew! From 3 to 2. :(

While I'm at it, I moved this incubator to my house from my kid's preschool for hatching (they are not even my birds!) and the incubator had a power interruption over night a week ago and the temp had dropped 10 degrees.

Do you guys think it is possible that ANY of these eggs are viable? The incubator came with a candleing attachment and they looked like they should have on the 18th day.

Ok, ok! Thanks. Whew! From 3 to 2. :(

While I'm at it, I moved this incubator to my house from my kid's preschool for hatching (they are not even my birds!) and the incubator had a power interruption over night a week ago and the temp had dropped 10 degrees.

Do you guys think it is possible that ANY of these eggs are viable? The incubator came with a candleing attachment and they looked like they should have on the 18th day.

I agree get rid of the oozing egg. You can always open it and see how far the chick developed or maybe candle the egg.

On one of our coldest nights, we lost power. The power had already been off for at least couple of hours when I discovered the power was off, my incubator temp was 78 degrees. Luckily I had a battery pack and an inverter. I plugged the incubator into it and got the temp back up. I still had a good hatch. Good luck and have fun...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom