Day 19 and Worried - NOT worried anymore!

oh my gosh how cute...my eggs are due to hatch Thanksgiving day...was wondering about the egg carton you set your eggs in for the hatch...does that work better than just lying them on their side?

Today is day 23 and I still have two eggs left unhatched. When I got home last night I found that four of the marans eggs had not pipped. After candling I found two were dead and two were still moving around. I made small pips for the two live ones and could see the chicks breathing and heard one of them peeping. I also saw blood vessels so placed them back in the incubator. When I checked this morning, they still have blood vesels but are more active so I hope, with help or on their own, they will come out today. The two that died were fully formed, had absorbed their yolk sacs but just died. They were pretty big and did not have much space left in the egg so I wonder if they were just too big. This is really frustrating as I had a 100% hatch rate with all of the other eggs in this batch. Right now I have 4 marans out and two still in their shell. Here is a pic of one that I pipped:

ChickinEgg.jpg

On a brighter note, here are a couple shots of the chicks that already hatched:

ChickGroup.jpg

The EE crosses are really cute with their "puffy cheeks"

puffycheeks.jpg

Richard

One of the two remaining marans is out now, with a little help from me. I hate intervening but it was starting to make it's round around the egg so thought I would help him out, just in case. The last marans is still doing well inside the egg. Peeping and fidgiting so I hope it will be out later today.

Barb, I will be selling eggs of my birds but don't really want to ship now that things have gotten so cold. If you're ever in Western Mass you can stop by to pick them up though!
big_smile.png

Richard

I just found this thread.......the chicks are so cute. The cuckoo maran is the one chicken i wish my flocks had in them. I wonder since i live so close to you Richard, if you have, or know anyone local that has them?
I think i could let one of my silkies hatch a couple eggs if i could find some????

Back
Top Bottom