Day 19 of Hatch under broody...first timer...help!

ginnyj

Chirping
8 Years
May 8, 2011
Central Florida
I am hatching eggs for the first time under a broody hen. Well, I am hatching eggs for the first time ever anyway. I put 10 fertilized eggs under my buff orpington on July 4th. I went out to check this morning and on one of the eggs, half of the shell is chipped away. The membrane is intact and I can see movement.
Please what do I do? I don't want the chick to suffocate and I don't even know if that is a possibility.

I've been through three broody hatches, and I just let them be. Just this last time we ended up with a chick that didn't make it all the way out, but the rest of the eggs (that didn't turn out to be duds) have developed and hatched just fine. I'm a firm believer in the "hands off" policy. Your chick hatching mileage may vary.

And GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
I've been through three broody hatches, and I just let them be. Just this last time we ended up with a chick that didn't make it all the way out, but the rest of the eggs (that didn't turn out to be duds) have developed and hatched just fine. I'm a firm believer in the "hands off" policy. Your chick hatching mileage may vary.

And GOOD LUCK!
goodpost.gif
When ever you have a broody, and the eggs are hatching, the best thing to do is leave them be. Never intervene during hatching time, even in an incubator.....only in a complete emergency.

Thanks for the advice. The chick that I was concerned about died. It seems like the membrane shrinkwrapped around it...and it couldn't get out. I finally helped it get out and left the egg shell attached near the yolk area although it seemed completely dry and there was no blood. I put it back under the hen and when I checked later it was dead.
I am hoping I didn't cause it but I believe for sure it would have died in the shell otherwise. My broody is sitting on 9 other eggs and I hear peeping. I am hoping that the others get out ok.
I got chicks (about 5 days old) a year ago May....and this is my first experience with any hatching. My broody is one of my original chicks. I have totally enjoyed having chickens and thought I'd let her try to hatch some eggs since she refused to get off her nest for weeks.
It is all very interesting and again I'm hoping for the best for the rest of the eggs/chicks.

Thanks again for replying.

Back
Top Bottom