day 19 one pipping but had power outage

serenity8327

Chirping
Sep 17, 2019
I had a chick start pipping early this morning after work it hadn't progressed but egg was still rocking. later in the night I lost power for a little over an hour I put a propane heater next to bator which managed to keep the temp up above 95. but I didnt know how much the humidity dropped. when the power came back on it was in the 30s. I waited a couple more hours but still no progress so I widened the pip a little to see in. it was shrink wrapped. so I removed some of the shell and pushed some of the membrane back so she can breath wrapped her in paper towel and put her back in the bator. after I put her back in I noticed 2 more eggs had pipped sometime in the time it took me to help her. I have the humidity up to 70 and it seems to be keeping her inner membrane clear and damp. so I'm hoping that the other chicks membranes are good as well. if anyone has advice for this it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20191021_004252.jpg
    20191021_004252.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 53
They should be ok.
As for the one you opened the hole wait a while before anymore attempts to help. There are to many veins, she isn't ready to come out yet. It can take a long time after they pip to zip then hatch. Just keep an eye on here membrane so it doesn't dry out. Most suggest using coconut oil to moisten the membrane, will cause it to dry out more. It looks to be ok right now. The paper towel will cause her to get cold (as of many opinions on here).

I lost that one it never gained the will to finish pushing out of the shell. after it passed I finished removing it and it had never absorbed the yolk sack. at the moment I have 4 hatched 1 more pipped 4 rocking and 1 that hasn't moved at all. but this is day 20 so I expect more tomorrow. the first to hatch is very spritely the second one took a little more time to get around the third I think the first one got a little aggressive with and broke the cord before the chick was ready. there was blood I put pressure on the hole and it stopped pretty quickly. the forth one seems to be hacking up alot of fluid I've tried looking up if it's normal or not but cant find anything on it.

g
How are things going
so I have 5 out and getting fluffy and 1 more pipped an hour ago. one was so sticky it actually stuck to the bottom and side of bator. I got it unstuck and washed it off with dawn soap and warm water it's all over the place with energy now and drying out. but I have the one that had lost a little blood by separating from the egg to fast and while its breathing fine and pecking at itself and chirping it has never tried to stand or raise its head it propels itself across the bottom of the bator but that's it. I'm not sure if something is wrong with it. or if it is weak from the blood loss. it was about a thimble full if that helps.

g

so I have 5 out and getting fluffy and 1 more pipped an hour ago. one was so sticky it actually stuck to the bottom and side of bator. I got it unstuck and washed it off with dawn soap and warm water it's all over the place with energy now and drying out. but I have the one that had lost a little blood by separating from the egg to fast and while its breathing fine and pecking at itself and chirping it has never tried to stand or raise its head it propels itself across the bottom of the bator but that's it. I'm not sure if something is wrong with it. or if it is weak from the blood loss. it was about a thimble full if that helps.

I don't know anything about anything, but, a thimble full for a baby chick seems like a lot. Good luck! Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom