Day 20 and the incubator has gone crazy

chanceosunshine

Songster
Jul 15, 2019
NW Ohio
I woke up to 80% humidity, no, I do not have a secondary way of checking it, but according to the incubator itself it was at 80%. (Farm Innovators 2450) I opened it to remove a rag I had in there since day 18 to increase the humidity. A minute after I closed it I checked it and it said it was up to 102 degrees. My secondary calibrated thermometer registered at least that, possibly 102.5 degrees. It was only for a moment, but now I'm concerned that could have been happening longer.
Nothing I can do about it now, but are those numbers high enough to kill them little guys?

Have you candled any of the eggs to check for movement?
A short spike I’m sure won’t do too much, but if it’s been swinging I’m not sure how it would effect them. I’m not experienced enough to say.

I have any pipped?

I've had this happen occasionally. I make whatever adjustments I can to return the incubator as close to ideal conditions as possible. For example: open the incubator briefly to vent moisture and lower the temp, open the vent holes which usually lowers humidity and temp. Observe the incubator frequently/constantly and continue with minute adjustments as needed. Just be cautious and not let your adjustments cause wide swings as you could do more harm. All incubators are different and in some even small adjustments can result in big changes! Most likely they will be ok if the changes were not prolonged.

I have that same incubator the old dial type and the new digital one. Mine do the exact same thing closer to hatch day gauges go crazy for whatever reason. I do only dry incubate all the time though and bump up my humidity just for hatching. I recently purchased the nurture right to use as a hatcher the temp and humidity seem to hold really steady and humidity rises and holds nicely for hatch time. The bator gauges are reading same as calibrated gauges and I just had a 100% hatch on turkey eggs. I have not incubated in this yet only used as a hatcher and so far I'm liking it more than my digital farm innovators.

My humidity spiked because we had a lot of rain and had high humidity. I just barely lifted the lid (during lockdown 😱 ) until it lowered a little below required humidity. As it steadily climbed back up, i used a baster to suck out water from the exterior reservoirs. Not wanting to take away too much, I have had to closely monitor the incubator and lift it just a tad to let humidity escape every now and then. 16 hatched so far.

The hatching eggs will usually cause an increase in humidity as moisture evaporates from the wet chicks and wet egg shells. Sounds like your hatch is going well! Just out of curiosity, how many eggs did you set?

I hatched bantam Cochins and a few backyard mixes. My original goal was to get some offspring from my Olive Egger. She lays so consistently! The rooster is a welsummer/maran.
I love Cochins, but don’t really need any so I went with bantam Cochins cause they’re too stinking cute!!
I foresee a better incubator in my future! I will look into the Nature Right!

Back
Top Bottom