Day 20 for Coturnix and still nothing.

krstms

MO Hick Chick
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
Missouri
Still no pips as far as I can tell. I seen them wiggling a little on day 18 and thought maybe they were close to hatching. HOw long should I give them before I give up?

Good luck!
smile.png

What is your humidity and temperature at? What type of incubator? Forced air? Still (circulated) air? Number and model of thermometers? All this stuff would help
smile.png

Temp is about 99.7 It's forced air LG. Humidity is around 60-65 ish One thermometer/hygrometer it's one of the digital ones springfield or something like that.

Float test shows all but one could be viable. One floated really high so I cracked it open. It was an early quitter I think. The rest floated but only had just a little sticking out. I didnt see any for sure movements though so I'm still wondering if they are alive or if they developed and died. Like I said I saw them rocking around day 18 but nothing since.
Would there be any chance of seeing signs of life by candling this late?

Yeah, if you candle into the air cell you could see them pushing on the membrane. Put a washcloth soaked in HOT water inside the bator and see if that doesn't help. I use the Springfield thermometers too and some read pretty spot-on while others can be all over the place. Maybe turn the heat up a little if the dial isn't too touchy.

I've had some hatch on day 21, but none later than that.

With the float testing, obviously you're looking for eggs that float too 'high' but you always want to watch for eggs that 'move'. The movement is what tells you if the egg is still alive.

Back
Top Bottom