How long to leave an egg in lockdown?

Susan Skylark

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2024
Hi!

Have 7 coturnix eggs in lockdown, it is day 19 and 5 have hatched (4 today, one yesterday) and one is still hatching. I have one just sitting there but I water candled it and there is definitely movement so I put it back in the incubator. Tomorrow is day 20, how long do I give the laggardly one? These eggs spent 8 days in the mail so they had a rough start but the chicks are doing well, if a bit late! Thanks!

Water candled? If you meant a float test, that's a good way to kill a chick.

I would candle (with a flashlight or candler), and as long as the chick is still alive, let it have time.

It sounds like your incubator temperature is a bit low. Did you have a calibrated thermometer inside the incubator?

I candled the egg (all dark except the air cell, no cracks or holes in the shell) before placing it in 99F water to watch for movement. There was a slight possibility of killing the chick but since I was going to stop incubating tomorrow if I saw no signs of life that would certainly kill it so worth the risk. I don’t have an auxiliary thermometer in the incubator but periodic checks with another thermometer agreed with the incubator’s temp.

I candled the egg (all dark except the air cell, no cracks or holes in the shell) before placing it in 99F water to watch for movement. There was a slight possibility of killing the chick but since I was going to stop incubating tomorrow if I saw no signs of life that would certainly kill it so worth the risk. I don’t have an auxiliary thermometer in the incubator but periodic checks with another thermometer agreed with the incubator’s temp.
Was the thermometer you used to check the incubator with, calibrated?

Back
Top Bottom