Day 20 lockdown. No external pips.

All done, moved them to the larger bunny cage since smarty pants Barred Rock biddy can already fly... Everything is done. I swabbed butts periodically all day with iodine to hopefully keep another dropping dead like Barred Rocks sibling.
biddy1.jpg

Heat lamp is very low. Have you checked temp under it? Could singe your paper towels..... also what’s on the checkered plate in the glass dish?

Last edited:
I put some of the water on the plate when I leave and take the candy dish out. Yeah, I don't trust them being able to do simple things like drink yet.
When I had Crunchy isolated because of unabsorbed yolk I had a small lid for wet food and a rodent dish with rocks for water (you gotta improvise sometimes) He didn’t need much since he was by himself. I was worried he wouldn’t make it. My chicks in the brooder always got the general chick feeder and waterer since it holds more and they consume so much.

Love your babies by the way! I’m waiting a bit longer to start incubating since my silkies aren’t laying yet.

Wow that was exciting i’m on day 6 on my first ever hatch 10 eggs in the bator from my own hens i just did some candling on a few and results were good here is a couple of pics
That is really cool! It is so exciting seeing a little chick in there knowing its going to hatch!:jumpy That is what I saw with my first hatch.

Jennifer, they need water ALL THE TIME, not just when you can watch them. If you don't have a chick waterer, you can take a saucer, and place a custard cup upside down in the middle. this will make a moat to hold a bit of water, yet they won't be able to go swimming in it. Or get creative with what ever else you have in your kitchen. How soon can you get a standard jar and base waterer?

Back
Top Bottom