Day 20 or 21 Questions.

DavidKerk

Songster
9 Years
Feb 9, 2013
I am on day 20 or 21 of my incubation. I'm incubating chicken eggs. I've heard that you're not supposed to open the incubator during this time. I have been opening it only to take the sponge out to wet it. Is this O.K.? Also, no pips yet. Is this a bad sign?

When you open the lid humidity will wisk out, and it would take a while for the sponges water to get into the air. This could really do harm to the eggs. It would be safest to use a vent hole as chickencanoe suggested.

No pips on day 20 isn't anything to fret about too badly. Are the wobbling or cheeping?

Last edited:
When you open the lid humidity will wisk out, and it would take a while for the sponges water to get into the air. This could really do harm to the eggs. It would be safest to use a vent hole as chickencanoe suggested.

No pips on day 20 isn't anything to fret about too badly. Are the wobbling or cheeping?
Neither wobbling or cheeping that I can hear and it is day 22 or 23 with no pips.

How have your temps been I have been told if temps are low it can delay hatching... so they just may be a bit behind your schedule. Hope they hatch for you

If they have not pipped, take a bowl of lukewarm water, somewhere around 100 degrees Fahrenheit, mainly not too warm, and let the water quiet down. Put an egg in. It will float.

If it wiggles there is a live chick inside. If it does not wiggle at that age, it is not good.

Back
Top Bottom