Day 20 silkie eggs - no pips

Yolko-ono

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2022
I have 3 shipped USA silkie eggs in my incubator, it has been 12 hours since the beginning of day 20 and still nothing. No movement or pipping. I normally wouldn’t be bothered because all of my previous hatches have begun on day 21 but this is my first time incubating bantam eggs and I’ve been told they tend to come earlier and at the very least - pip on day 20. I don’t think they have even internally pipped yet but I did see some shadowing in the air cell on day 18. And they were all moving before lockdown.

So am I just being impatient or should I be worried that I don’t see anything yet??

I have 3 shipped USA silkie eggs in my incubator, it has been 12 hours since the beginning of day 20 and still nothing. No movement or pipping. I normally wouldn’t be bothered because all of my previous hatches have begun on day 21 but this is my first time incubating bantam eggs and I’ve been told they tend to come earlier and at the very least - pip on day 20. I don’t think they have even internally pipped yet but I did see some shadowing in the air cell on day 18. And they were all moving before lockdown.

So am I just being impatient or should I be worried that I don’t see anything yet??
Btw When I say they were moving I don’t mean the eggs themselves I mean the embryos when I was candling them. Hope that helps!

this is my first time incubating bantam eggs and I’ve been told they tend to come earlier and at the very least - pip on day 20.
I know, you read that stuff on this forum. The reality is that bantam eggs or full sized eggs can hatch a couple of days early or a couple of days late for different reasons. Incubating temperature can have an influence on that but there are other possible causes.

You started them on Saturday so the theoretical hatch date is also a Saturday. But don't do anything based on that theory. I've seen a few posts this year where somebody believed that they would be early and tossed the eggs while they were still alive.

But you have seen something. You saw movement so they are alive. So leave them alone and give them a chance to hatch. I understand how frustrating it can be, many of us have been there. But your best chances for success is to give them chance.

Back
Top Bottom