Day 20 ??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shadust1, Nov 19, 2011.

1. shadust1

shadust1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    I just candled two of the eggs i brought upstairs....on the one end is a air space but i dont see any sorta shape of a chicken or anything..when i move the egg the airsac moves....like it is liquidy..i have no clue...the rest of the eggs r brown so i cant see anything in them...is it worth keeping them for a few more days and trying to take care of the eggs...and how far away should the light be from the eggs??? do i just have to keep the temp up to 100 degrees...

sorry..im sooo flipping out right now...i cant believe how attached i am to these freaking eggs...lol....please someone answer...much appreciated!!!

2. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:The air cell, are you seeing this on the large end of the egg? Air cells should never move. I hope someone can help you, as I'm new to hatching eggs under a broody. Can you maybe get a picture? Sorry I'm prolly no help [​IMG]

3. shadust1

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    thats ok...i dont think im gonna be able to get a pic..when i move the egg around the liquid follows...so im thinking that is why she isnt sitting on them...

4. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:Sounds like mama knew she wasn't expecting anymore [​IMG] At day 20, the eggs should be full of chick and you'll see darkness. The air cell should be vidid, not move, and def. no moving fluid should be seen. Lets see what others say first okay [​IMG]

Have you been counting down days? Do you know for certain, they're 20 days old?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  5. shadust1

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    yeah thanks!!! appreciate the answers....not seeing any baby in there moving around....off well..guess ill have to buy an incubator...do it myself...

6. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:Well maybe not..if she sat for 20 days on bad eggs, she may brood next time on "good" eggs. Mama hens know and she prolly never heard a cheep or felt the babies move, so she got off the nest.. A bator on hand would be safe though.

7. shadust1

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    i just got a flashlight and went into the bathroom and candled all of them...sat there and stared at them forever....no of them have nothing but a dark spot...looks like something was starting but there is nothing at all moving around for it being day 20 and the airsac is on the larger end but in some it moves when u move the egg around...so that would be my luck...now im down to 3chickens since one was killed by a fox the other day...very very sad....guess ill have to try next time she goes broody...thanks for everyone's help!!! [​IMG]

8. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:Yeah, sounds like the eggs are def. no good sorry hon:( I don't know what would cause the air cell to become mobile, other than the egg being bad. Def. at 20 days you would see peeps either moving or a completly dark egg. Maybe someone who's got more experience will read this and can give you more details on what maybe happened to your eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by