Day 21- 2 hatched 4 HAVENT pipped

SilkieJourney06

In the Brooder
May 5, 2021
Hello! This is my first time incubating Silkie eggs. I had gotten 8 shipped eggs and kept my temp at 37.7-38 and my humidity at 50-55%. On day 18 I went into lockdown. I had candled my eggs and found 6 perfectly viable eggs with good air sacs and some movement. I then raised my humidity to 65-75% and turned my temp to 37.5. On day 20 two eggs had pipped and hatched. However, now on day 21 there is no pipping on the other four eggs. I'm also a bit worried that the other two chicks are moving the eggs around a lot. Should I candle the 4 eggs left or should I wait it out? Should I take out the chicks?

If there is no external pip by day 24, they won't hatch.
It has been proven that the peeping and moving by already hatched chicks encourages the chicks in the eggs to hatch.
I wouldn't leave the chicks in for more than 48 hours, though you can leave them for up to 72.

Hey! This hasn't been good for me , because on day 22 mine never have hatched, and ended up being bad.. But, dont worry, if 2 hatched and they are in the incubator it should incourage the other eggs that havent yet to hatch. Id wait a bit more and please do not candle it yet, if you do spray it with warm water so the sack inside doesnt shrink, because if it was alive it would die in there If you didnt spray it. Good luck! Inform me if anything went wrong

In my experience, if they dont hatch by day 22, you should assist. Gently saw the egg on the air cell with a serrated knife until you can peel the outer membrane with the shell ONLY IN THE AIR CELL not near the chick or the inner membrane. With warm water on your finger or a q tip, gently smear the water on the inner membrane. If you see reddish veins or lines, find the beak if you can and poke a hole without hitting any veins so the chick can breath. If there isnt any veins or blood, carefully proceed to rub the inner membrane off the chick with warm water. Stop at the sight of blood or veins. If you can, gently pull the head out so the chick can get out if he wants, and plop back in the bator.

In my experience, if they dont hatch by day 22, you should assist. Gently saw the egg on the air cell with a serrated knife until you can peel the outer membrane with the shell ONLY IN THE AIR CELL not near the chick or the inner membrane. With warm water on your finger or a q tip, gently smear the water on the inner membrane. If you see reddish veins or lines, find the beak if you can and poke a hole without hitting any veins so the chick can breath. If there isnt any veins or blood, carefully proceed to rub the inner membrane off the chick with warm water. Stop at the sight of blood or veins. If you can, gently pull the head out so the chick can get out if he wants, and plop back in the bator.
Yeah, i have been told to try to avoid that, but that is just me, most people do assist, some dont, i just dont, probably because i just wouldnt want to see the poor thing hurt in there, but thats good advice!

I have had my cochin hatch at day 23 and another day 24, i would wait, especially if you see pips and chirps, and everything is going normally. Some sre late bloomers, :)

Back
Top Bottom