Day 21/ 22 No internal pip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RandomDuck, Aug 25, 2014.

1. RandomDuck

RandomDuck Out Of The Brooder

It's day 21/22. Of my first hatch, and I have one egg in the bator with NO internal pip!! I know cause It hasn't been cheeping at all! I'm nervous that it'll die.. Should I be scared?
    Yesterday it was moving and rocking a lot! But today it's being still( probably sleeping)

Thank you, a nervous chicken momma
    ~RandomQuuen

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Give it a bit longer. It may only be taking it's time before starting the hatch process. Fingers crossed!

3. RandomDuck

Ok, thank you.. I just got back from school, and it's not internally pipped, or externally.. :c

I'm so nervous.. Right now the egg is moving shaking and rocking but still no pip ;(
    Whee is the point when I may have to assist.. I read the assisted hatching learning article.. But it didn't say about anything
    About my situation..
    Has this ever happened to anyone before??
    And remember , this is the only egg in the bator, so if it dies it's a failed first hatch.. And my whole class has a calendar and everything to when my egg should hatch into a chick.

PLEASE HELP-
    I'm desperate :hit

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I would leave it a bit longer the rocking and moving is most likely it starting to pip. While it is moving it is making progress. Make sure your humidity is at least 65%. Good luck. :fl

5. RandomDuck

I think I heard it chirp? Maybe .. But it has been rocking very violently on these past 20 minutes, so I think it could be making some progress. Also, my humidity is at 59 but it will NOT go up no matter what I do,, even though the whole bottom is covered with wet rags..

Is it possible that I could take the egg out quickly to hear if it was actually chirping.. Would it be harmed? And how long would it take from internal pip to external?

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    No - do NOT take the egg out to listen to it. You will lose even more humidity. The more you mess with it, the greater the chance it won't hatch. Sometimes "assisting" can cause more harm than good - especially if you try it too early. Maybe next time it would be a good idea to hatch more than one since artificial incubation isn't quite as reliable as hatching the natural way.

7. RandomDuck

True, true.. Don't worry. I didn't open the bator.. I don't think any amount of convincing would make me, either..
    So.. Everything's going good so far, , internal pip, no external yet though ..

8. RandomDuck

HAY GUYZ.. Good news!! Ii now have one beautiful new chick named Recore!! It hatched around noon today, and I waited a bit before putting it in the brooder.. Yes yes, not 24 hours but I was impatient lol :D anyway, thank you so much for the help,!! You guys are awesome!! :celebrate

9. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Congrats on your new chick :jumpy. As they say patience is a virtue!!!

10. RandomDuck

True, true.. I'm just so happy now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by