Day 21 and nothing hatching

Wayde Griffiths

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2021
Hi
I have a batch of silkie eggs that I bought in the incubator and it's day 21 today but nothing is happening. Not even a pip.

I bought 6 but have taken three out as they weren't fertile.

The incubator has no humidity guage you just go by how much water you put in and the temp is currently set at 36°C which is what the instructions said and presumably because it's a fan incubator.

What should I do?

Hi
I have a batch of silkie eggs that I bought in the incubator and it's day 21 today but nothing is happening. Not even a pip.

I bought 6 but have taken three out as they weren't fertile.

The incubator has no humidity guage you just go by how much water you put in and the temp is currently set at 36°C which is what the instructions said and presumably because it's a fan incubator.

What should I do?
Various breeds will hatch at different times. As you say, usually it is 21 days, but sometimes it can be several days after. I suggest that you wait until it has been 26 days. Silkies in fact tend to have slightly longer hatching window. So be patient, and just ensure that the heat is kept high :thumbsup

Hi! What a coincidence, I am also hatching Silkie eggs and it is also day 21 and no pipping or anything! I had a problem with my humidity at the start and then bought a new incubator. Although the incubator should be on lockdown, just candle the eggs quickly from the air cell to see if there is a chick in there. If it looks like there is then leave it in the incubator. Usually Silkie chicks hatch later then every other breed because they take longer to develop especially if you are monitoring your own humidity. The temperature seems quite low so I would put it up to 37 for the hatch. Also have a high humidity. It can take up to 25 days for a chicken egg to hatch so do not fear! Good luck.

Also you are not meant to count the day you put the eggs in, so if you are counting properly then you should count the day after you put them in, as the eggs take a while to get used to the temperature and then start developing ☺

Thanx all...

I have candled again and one is hardly filling the egg so probably been dead a while, and the other two are definitely chicks but there isn't any movement.

As you say I'll put the temp up, keep humidity up and sir on my hands until day 25

:fl

One has started to pip now🤯🥳

There is another chick in the incubator moving around, could it cause problems for the one that's hatching if it moves the egg around?

Bit of paranoia going on here!😬

Yay!! Congratulations 🎉 no not really, you might want to separate that one a bit just incase but I don’t think so. I can imagine you’re nervous! Please send some photos once they are out!!!

Back
Top Bottom