day 21 and nothing...?

chickNjake

Songster
11 Years
Sep 3, 2008
east tn
I have 26 or so eggs in the bator, out of 32 we started with, very good fertility no non-viable eggs with out a reason (cracks, fridge ect.) so I expected a good hatch but it's 3 hours from the 'official' day 21 (7:00) and no pips or a peeps from the eggs
barnie.gif
I thought it could have been humidity so i put wet rag in there (I don't have a-? hygrometer-? whatever measures humidity) and i don't have very much hatching experience so i need to borrow someone else's!
smile.png
WHAT DO I DO!?!?

Last edited:
I'm using a little giant Styrofoam bator, I know it's not exactly top-of-the-line
hmm.png
oh well and the temp on the thermometer is 101ish but the thermometer isn't perfect and when we set it to "99.5" on the thermometer 2 out of 46!!! hatched and very late too and then at "104" one third hatched on day 19 so we're trying to find a happy medium!

ps! I did hear ONE peep which will satisfy me for now! it was ONLY 1 peep though
lol.png
thanx! -jake

Well 101ish or 102ish is where you should be at in a still air anyway so im thinking your hatch might be better this time, dont worry if they dont all explode out at the exact 21 day, keep us posted and good luck!

If you are using the still air LG bator, the temp has to be higher than 99.5. That is the temp if using a bator with a fan. Also, have you tried calibrating your thermometer to make sure it is accurate?

Since your temp was low, that could cause your hatch to be delayed.

I don't have an LG, but I've read that it is very difficult to stabilize the temp and humidity. You probably should get a hygrometer for the next hatch. If your humidity is too high, then the chicks can drown in the shell when they try to hatch.

I hope they start hatching soon. If some don't hatch, you may want to open the shell and look at the embryo to see whether or not it was fully developed. It may be able to give you some clues as to what changes to make to improve your hatch rate.

Did you take both you vent plugs out ?

Give them to at least day 25 before you open them.

A good temp for the LG is 101 ish, You should get a hum gauge for your next hatch, Its VERY impotant to know what yout hum is. Not knowing is enough to have a bad hatch.

Hope they hatch soon !! And peeping is a good sign !!!!

still no one pipping, but they- it... I don't kno how many- are still peeping occasionally

both plugs are out.

I'll definitely wait to open it, I've had one to hatch on day 26 b4!

If you dont know your humidity it really could be a prob. Humidity is one of the most important things in hatching. All you can do is wait and find out how this hatch goes but would not even attempt another hatch without a hydrometer. Get one but make sure you calibrate it before you use it. I have four bought at the same time same model and not one is accurate and there is a difference anywhere from six to fourteen percent difference. It has to be calibrated. If you dont know how to calibrate a hydrometer you put one half cup table salt and one fourth cup water in a coffee cup and stir it. Then put the coffee cup and your hydrometer in a large resealable freezer bag and seal it. Leave it in there for eight to twelve hours and before opening bag look to see the humidity. It should read 75 percent. If not subtract the difference and add or subtract to make it accurate.By that I mean lets say it reads 70 then you would subtract 70 from 75 leaves five so to get the right reading from your hydro when in bator you would take the reading it has and add 5. If it is higher in the salt solution the 75 you would subtract that much.

ummm....i just got a humidity reader thing, but i dont have time to calibrate it before i put the eggs in the bator?!?!!
also (on a different note) if i were you id get ur hygrometer now so that maybe you still have a chance to fix it....its only 6 bux at walmart (in the hardware[water] section)

Back
Top Bottom