Day 21 and two pips Update!

jimnjay

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Bryant Alabama
I thought I would share my latest incubation experience. As the question of broodies vs incubator has arisen. I have 7 eggs in the hatcher and 6 in the incubator due to hatch on Saturday. There are two that are pipped and are on day 21 today. I am not the greatest at incubation and I have been worried about air cells that were to small on day 18. These eggs are very still and not rolling around so of course I am thinking that they are not going to make it. I think this is the worst part of incubators. You are way to aware of what is going on and I tend to over react.

One of my pips is on the narrow side of the egg and the other is right where it should be.

I also have two broodies outside sitting on the same nest and there are only three fertile eggs under them. I plan on giving one of the moms some of the babies from the incubator if they decide to hatch. Had I know I would have 2 and possibly three more go broody I would have given them all the eggs in a heartbeat. I really don't do a good job of " STEP AWAY FROM THE BATOR", which is the BYC mantra for hatchaholics.

I will keep you posted on how these guys do today so keep your fingers crossed for me.

Last edited:
Know what you mean I was excited just taking them of the automatic turner. Then for 5 days watching every egg pipping- peeping- cracking- hatching till i had 29. God it was great-lol It is addicting

This morning I woke to 5 little Blue/Black/Splash Orphingtons. I had helped two that were pipped on the wrong end last night before I went to bed. I peeled some of the shell off very carefully not to disturbe the membrane as it still bled. One still had not emerged this morning so I helped it all the way out. The membrane was very dry and after only a little bit of peeling off the dry membrane it streached out and opened up in my hand. Three are in the brooder and three are still in the hatcher. The are tumbling and stumbling around in there making a racket, which is a very great sign that all are healthy and not necessarily happy yet but soon will be. I will post pics when I can get them all together.

wee.gif

Congrats on the babies! Can't wait to see pics.

smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
CONGRATS! That is so exciting as mine get nearer and nearer to day 21.
big_smile.png
Only 9 more days to go and trust me, I AM counting! lol
tongue.png

Be sure to post us some pics when you get time, we would love to see them!

Back
Top Bottom