1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 21 Egg with hole in shell moving but not pipped

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Arielle, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    If I lift back the corner of the tape I can see the white membrane. All the veins are gone and the chick moves a tiny bit. When can I help it hatch? It has not pipped.

5 others have hatched already. THe last one pipped but needed major assistance as it was up side down. These eggs were stored pointed side up at room temperature. I was notified of this at time of purchase. I really Really REALLY want these eggs to hatch as they are pure Ameraucana.

ANy suggestions on how to help this baby make it?

2. justin24

justin24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    help it hatch stop if yu see blood and wrap it in a wam paper towel

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The pointy end goes DOWN! Candle the last egg and determine which end has the air cell. Using a sharp instrument, chip away egg shell at the air cell end and see if the chick is still alive. If it is alive, continue chipping shell until you get to the membrane. Check for vessels and proceed as appropriate. All hatching eggs must be stored and set with pointy end down.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    If the chick hasn't pipped, how will it know to start breathing? I'm afraid to open it and have it not take the next step and breath.

checked on it--it's gone.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Has the chick internally pipped? Candle the air cell and see if there is darkness/movement there. The chick will already know to take a breath. It's DNA.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by