Day 21 humidity low

I just got home and noticed one of them pipped a small hole in the shell and I hear it chirping, how long normally till it makes another crack? And how long till it hatches?

The best way to raise humidity is to place wet items with lots of surface area in the incubator at lockdown. Rags, sponges, and cardboard egg cartons are great choices (except that in recent years, I've noticed they've added something to egg cartons that makes even the cardboard ones almost impermeable, and therefore less useful for this purpose--I used to love them because I would fill each hole with water and it would wick up the sides and release tons of moisture in the bator). When it comes to humidity, the amount of water is irrelevant--what matters in the surface area of the water. That's why the built-in humidity trays are usually large and shallow, but they're rarely enough in my experience to raise the humidity enough for hatching.

Now that you're partway in, it may still be beneficial to try the above recommendations. Prep everything in advance so you only have to open the bator once and briefly. Then set everything in at once. Make sure everything is at the same temp as the bator, so it doesn't change the temp in the bator. Be sure that any water reservoirs are either high-sided to prevent chicks getting in and drowning, or shallow enough for the same reason. While the incubator is open, spritz the eggs with warm water to moisten any membranes that have been exposed to the dry air.

What you're aiming for, ultimately, is slight condensation on the bator windows. That's when you know the humidity is high enough. I don't even bother with a hygrometer during lockdown because the condensation measure is quite effective. I have never, since my first hatch, had a shrink-wrapped baby using this measure.

The chicks won't die right away from shrink-wrapping, so you have time to wait and see whether they're going to make it out before you help. Helping can be extremely dangerous, and I've seen far more babies die from premature "help" than from shrink-wrapping, so go slow.

Good luck!

Chicks can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 12 hours or more after pipping before they hatch. Definitely do not open the incubator to assist at this stage.

I just got home and noticed one of them pipped a small hole in the shell and I hear it chirping, how long normally till it makes another crack? And how long till it hatches?
It really depends on the chick.. i have had some that pipped, zipped and were out within 10 minutes.. and others that took their good ol sweet time (2 days).. MOST are usually making progress within a few hours. Since hatching is hard work some like to take breaks and rest while they finish absorbing their yolk

Dont think about assisting until they have pipped for about 24 hours If. they pipped they are getting air the egg yolk is absorbed and gives then enough nourishment to last at least 2 days.So plenty of time.Its hard work and hours of rest somtimes inbetween zvery common after pipping to take5 or 8 hours or mote to go farther.It is stressful for the person hstching for sure!

Well the one that pipped hatched last night and seems to be doing well this morning, I did notice the membrane seemed dry,no others have pipped yet but a few are moving and I hear chirping

It's up to you, and some will disagree with me, but I suggest you open the incubator briefly and adjust a few things. Here's what I'm suggesting:

1. Prep warm water, and wet several rags or sponges with it. Set them in a dish by the incubator. Keep them warm.
2. Pour some of the warm water into a clean spray bottle. Make sure both the water and the bottle are very, very clean.
3. Quickly, before the water cools, open the incubator and place the rags & sponges under the vent holes where you can wet them again via dropper as they dry out.
4. Quickly spritz the pipped egg with the warm water in the bottle.
5. Quickly close the incubator.
6. Leave it shut for the duration of the hatch or until you have babies that need taking out (I do this every 12 hours or so during a hatch, removing any babies that are dry and placing them in the brooder).

This will get the humidity up for the remaining eggs, and re-moisten any dried out membranes in the currently pipped egg. I think the benefits will outweigh the risks. The sooner the better--once they start externally pipping, they will suffer from the lower humidity.

Good luck!

It's up to you, and some will disagree with me, but I suggest you open the incubator briefly and adjust a few things. Here's what I'm suggesting:

1. Prep warm water, and wet several rags or sponges with it. Set them in a dish by the incubator. Keep them warm.
2. Pour some of the warm water into a clean spray bottle. Make sure both the water and the bottle are very, very clean.
3. Quickly, before the water cools, open the incubator and place the rags & sponges under the vent holes where you can wet them again via dropper as they dry out.
4. Quickly spritz the pipped egg with the warm water in the bottle.
5. Quickly close the incubator.
6. Leave it shut for the duration of the hatch or until you have babies that need taking out (I do this every 12 hours or so during a hatch, removing any babies that are dry and placing them in the brooder).

This will get the humidity up for the remaining eggs, and re-moisten any dried out membranes in the currently pipped egg. I think the benefits will outweigh the risks. The sooner the better--once they start externally pipping, they will suffer from the lower humidity.

Good luck!

I always laugh when people have to run the shower.. make sure the room is hot and steamy and then dash in with the bator.. opening it quickly and in a panic.. when all they need to do is spritz the eggs lightly with a spray bottle as you suggested.
Warm water in a spray bottle does wonders and can also help alleviate some of the panic and stress of the person doing the hatching.. just make sure if you do have a spray bottle that you don't soak the eggs.. a light spritz is all that's really needed

Back
Top Bottom