Day 21 no external pip.

Was the first chick completely dry and fluffed out before you took it out of the incubator?

I would have left the first chick that hatched in incubator for longer until the other ones hatched cause they don’t need any food or water for more than a day or two if they fully absorbed their yolk sac and they don’t usually do well when they’re left alone without another chick being with them. I would not have put him/her under a hen if the hen wasn’t broody or hatching her own eggs because it just confuses them and they won’t tolerate caring for baby chicks that they don’t think are theirs.

If I absolutely felt the need to get a lone hatched chick out of the incubator I would have put it directly into the brooder

I also would not have assist hatched them if they were not ready to come out yet as this just causes problems and decreases their chance of survival, especially if you rupture their yolk sac or blood vessels.

There can be a dozen or more reasons for problems. The first that comes to mind is that they were 3 days late. That means the temperature was too low for the entire incubation. At anything below 35C, there will be disproportional development. That means some organs and systems develop at different rates. That will cause them to die in shell or shortly after hatching.
In fact, anything above or below 37.5 C can be a risk of deformities.
There can be many other causes besides improper temperature, humidity, turning and ventilation. Those could be contamination, breeder nutritional deficiencies, breeder diseases, heredity, embryological development accident and many more.
I don't think the power outage was a problem because it was such a short period of time. It takes a while for the internal egg temperature to drop.
The most important thing is a calibrated or guaranteed accurate thermometer.
Hatching early or late is almost always a temperature issue. More than a few hours or a day late is absolutely a temperature issue.
All other things being ideal, you can almost set your calendar and clock by when chicken eggs hatch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom