Day 21, no pipping, peeping, rocking?

Shelly Chip

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Hello all,

So today is day 21 and I expected to wake up this morning to find at least a couple of my 12 eggs starting to pip, but none have. I also do not hear any chicks cheeping, and I cannot see any noticeable rocking (though I have only spent a few minutes here and there looking at the eggs). Are the chicks supposed to start pipping before day 21?

I know my temp/humidity is good because I hatched other chicks in this incubator just last Friday. I am a little worried about this last batch though because they did not get turned when I put the last chicks on lockdown, which would have been days 14-16 for the next round of chicks. They did actually get turned at least once though because the newly hatched chicks scattered their eggs all over the place.

Aside from not being turned as much as usual, I am concerned that the possible high humidity (to hatch the other chicks, which was around 63%) could have caused problems for the second round of eggs. The humidity was only raised that high while the other chicks were hatching, so it was only a few days.Otherwise it was around 52%.

Finally, do you count the actual day you put the eggs in the incubator as "day 1". I put these eggs in the incubator on the morning of August 15, so I thought they would hatch the morning of Sept. 4, or at least be pipping by now. Any thoughts?

Shelly

Hello all,

So today is day 21 and I expected to wake up this morning to find at least a couple of my 12 eggs starting to pip, but none have. I also do not hear any chicks cheeping, and I cannot see any noticeable rocking (though I have only spent a few minutes here and there looking at the eggs). Are the chicks supposed to start pipping before day 21?

I know my temp/humidity is good because I hatched other chicks in this incubator just last Friday. I am a little worried about this last batch though because they did not get turned when I put the last chicks on lockdown, which would have been days 14-16 for the next round of chicks. They did actually get turned at least once though because the newly hatched chicks scattered their eggs all over the place.

Aside from not being turned as much as usual, I am concerned that the possible high humidity (to hatch the other chicks, which was around 63%) could have caused problems for the second round of eggs. The humidity was only raised that high while the other chicks were hatching, so it was only a few days.Otherwise it was around 52%.

Finally, do you count the actual day you put the eggs in the incubator as "day 1". I put these eggs in the incubator on the morning of August 15, so I thought they would hatch the morning of Sept. 4, or at least be pipping by now. Any thoughts?

Shelly
When did you last candle them? How did they look at that point? I would wait until day 22, and then take out a few eggs and candle them. Look for movement, and the egg should be mostly filled up. You may see shadows in the air cell of the egg when you candle if the chicks have internally pipped (punctured the air cell) or are about to.

If you don't see any movement, but the eggs look healthy otherwise, I would put all of the eggs back in the incubator. Wait until at least day 23. At that point, candle again. If there are still no signs of life, take out a few eggs and open them up. See if you can figure out what happened.

Your humidity seems fine, even though it was higher when the other chicks were hatching. Its all right that they weren't turned much for a few days, too. For future hatches, though, it is better if you don't have two batches of different-aged eggs of different ages in the incubator at the same time, as that only makes things more complicated.

Thanks for the info. I never did candle any of these eggs. I will if nothing happens by Friday. In reading past threads it appears you are not supposed to count the day you actually put the eggs in the incubator as "day 1," but instead count it as the next day (a full 24 hrs later). So I think my eggs should hatch tomorrow instead. Hopefully there will be some pips today or tomorrow morning.

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom