Day 21 no rocking? How do I tell if alive?

lisahamm1967

Chirping
Aug 8, 2019
Wildomar, CA
My first batch of incubating eggs. 5 out of 14 were fertile and growing. I had 3 different hygrometers in my incubator and all three were different readings: 1 was very low, 1 was very high and one was just right so I have NO IDEA what the actual humidity was during the incubation process. I did lockdown on day 18 and added water to increase humidity even though I don't know if it needed it or not. My concern after reading different posts is that IF the humidity was too high during the 1st 18 days the chicks my "drown" when they do their internal pip into the air sack. How can I determine now at day 21 if they are still alive. I saw 2 of the eggs slightly rocking a few times on day 19 but nothing since. :-(

I am not sure what is recommended. I hope they hatch. I am waiting for 3 Japanese under my broody to hatch. The should be here by Friday if they are going to make it. One was cracked by a big hen. It's a nail biter!

My first batch of incubating eggs. 5 out of 14 were fertile and growing. I had 3 different hygrometers in my incubator and all three were different readings: 1 was very low, 1 was very high and one was just right so I have NO IDEA what the actual humidity was during the incubation process. I did lockdown on day 18 and added water to increase humidity even though I don't know if it needed it or not. My concern after reading different posts is that IF the humidity was too high during the 1st 18 days the chicks my "drown" when they do their internal pip into the air sack. How can I determine now at day 21 if they are still alive. I saw 2 of the eggs slightly rocking a few times on day 19 but nothing since. :-(
Always good to test your hygrometers and thermometers before starting an incubation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...incubator-thermometers-and-hygrometers.73634/
Also good to candle on days 7-10-14-18 tracing air cells and and removing any 'duds'.
Did you candle at lockdown removing duds and seeing air cells?
Now all you can do is wait.

Always good to test your hygrometers and thermometers before starting an incubation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...incubator-thermometers-and-hygrometers.73634/
Also good to candle on days 7-10-14-18 tracing air cells and and removing any 'duds'.
Did you candle at lockdown removing duds and seeing air cells?
Now all you can do is wait.
Yes I candled but I didn't know what to look for. Unfortunately I found a site today with mch more info on what I SHOULD HAVE known before now. Based on the information from that site, my humidity was way too low. The air sacs in my eggs are way too large. i think they died at about 17 to 19 days. :-(

Yes I candled but I didn't know what to look for. Unfortunately I found a site today with mch more info on what I SHOULD HAVE known before now. Based on the information from that site, my humidity was way too low. The air sacs in my eggs are way too large. i think they died at about 17 to 19 days. :-(
I am so sorry to hear that. Hugs.

Here's my favorite egg development video ever. It shows exactly what's going on.
If you don't want to go through the whole process set-up, just fast forward to 4:40 for a time lapse video of each day. Darker shells are of course more difficult, but this unhindered view might help you develop a better eye for candling. p.s. - the chick lives.

also there are hatch alongs pretty much year around on here where you can ask questions or if you have concerns there are plenty of people in them that hatching in incubators , now all we can do is hope for some good results, I test for a full 24 to make sure everything is working every hatch, instruments, for cold spots etc after double checking and sterilizing before setting my eggs

one thing I kept for getting when i first started was you don't count the day you set but at the end of the 24 hours after setting them

Back
Top Bottom