day 21...nothing....Late on day 22, i hear loud cheeping but no peeping yet, i should leave them al

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BigOJoe, Jan 29, 2012.

1. BigOJoe

BigOJoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    first set of eggs (Ebay: Delaware) in my Christmas Brower incubator. yesterday was day 21 and nothing :(

late today, day 22, i woke up and ran to look, hoping for a surprise during the night and nothing :(

was looking on BYC for name of a good humidity meter, thinking that the cheap one i had wasn't working and that i killed this batch :(

and then i hear a loud cheeping, figured it was a sparrow on the patio, heard it again, then i thougth maybe... and YES! it's coming from the brower! :)

but none of the eggs were peeping, now i am fearing that with all that cheeping and no peeping, will it use up all her oxygen? I don't want to panic, but i am.

i have lost several batches and most of batches before, using the styrofoam bators and my wife got the brower for christmas hoping for a better success. several days after the hatch should have happened, i open the eggs to determine fertility or stage of formation and most have all looked like they were fully developed and didn't hatch. it is a really sad sick feeling, thinking i have screwed up somewhere and always at the very end of development.

i had better hatch rates from my first homemade incubator and before i learned of "Lockdown" so it seems the better the equipment, the the more i learn, the worse the outcome.

so, should i keep out and let them do their thing or is there a time i should help>

2. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

Stop the panic. I often hearing chirping long before the pip. Leave the eggs alone (I know; hard to do) and things should progress nicely.

Gail

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah

X2

4. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I think you're getting worse with the more you know because the more you know, the more paranoid and antsy you get.

5. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Couldn't have said it any better! [​IMG]

6. BigOJoe

Apr 8, 2010
    Update: have one banty hatched out!! (i put three banty eggs from my girls in with the 12 ebay Delawares eggs) no other peps.

will find it hard to sleep tonight!!

thanks for the encouragement! Hope to update good news in the morning.

7. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    23 days for me and no chickies yet ...[​IMG]

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Good luck and keep up the faith [​IMG]

9. BigOJoe

Apr 8, 2010
    only the one :(

opened the remaining 14 eggs

of the 12 Deleware ebay eggs, 5 were partial developed white feathered embroys they looked to be up to day 16-18, 1, looked to only be 7 days developed, 1 must have been infertile and the remaining 5 were gray/rotted matter.

the other two Banty eggs were almost fully developed.

all were dead, if the first one was alive i would have stopped.

soooo, i'm trying to figure out what'd going wrong??? my past failed hatches have been mostly developed, but can;t figure out what is going wrong those last few days, i raise the humidity, lock down and leave them alone...

i did get a new thermometer, i'm thinking my temp must be lower than i think it is.

now i'm looking for some day old buddies for my banty

10. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I went through the same thing last Dec. except I have no chickies. This is the second try on 23rd day still nooooo chickies !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by