1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 21 or 22 under a Hen, still no hatching!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joyhen, Apr 3, 2012.

1. joyhen

joyhen New Egg

Apr 3, 2012
    I have a Barred Rock Hen "Betsy" sitting on eggs since March 12 or 13. We brought her into a box with shavings, food, water in our basement the night of the 13 to be away from our flock that includes 1 rooster and 18 other Hens (black laced wyandottes, barred rocks, brown layers).
    So, from my calculations, they should have hatched yesterday and possibly today, but still nothing! Should I worry?
    This is our first time so we are new at all this. I candled with a crappy flashlight on Day 6 or 7 and (compared to a fresh egg that was very clear), there were dark spots in the eggs. In the process 2 out of 15 eggs got broke. (Betsy was clutching one when I lifted her and it dropped on another egg). A few days after this, we found another egg broken in her water dish. Leaving 12 eggs left. Then about a week or so later, Betsy had rolled another one into her water dish where it got really cold. She had also pushed another egg to the side that was full of crap. I cleaned off that egg too and for the heck of it, put both back under her.
    She has been pushing a few eggs out and then pulling them back under her....but still no chicks!!

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Not much you can do except wait. :)

I've got eggs under a broody hen for the first time now, too - just starting the second week. I put 4 eggs under mine.

Good luck!

3. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    I have a broody hen that was due to hatch on last friday. On Sunday morning I found one baby in her nest. Still have three egss left that I do not think will hatch tomorrow will be day 25 [​IMG]. But I do have a bunch of eggs in my incubator and my first set is due to hatch tomorrow so I was going to give her some of those chicks and take away the eggs at night when she was sleeping. She has done such a great job I want her to have more than one baby to be a momma hen to.

4. joyhen

joyhen New Egg

Apr 3, 2012
    I forgot to mention that we switched to a larger wooden box on about Day 16 or 17, that wouldn't kill the chicks would it? We were gentle in moving everything over!
    Yes, I am a rookie. :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by