Day 21....worry, worry *Pics added* What breed?

donnap1967

Songster
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
Northern NJ
Hello all!

First I want to say I have been reading the forums and there is so much good information here I wish I had discovered the web site sooner. So much information and knowledge to be gained.

My daughter and I rented a styro still air incubator 21 days ago from a local farm market because she has a science fair coming up and we thought it would be great to hatch chicks for our project. Every year several kids do this and it looked fascinating and fun.

We set up our incubator and got the temperature to 100 degrees and set a dozen eggs. The incubator has two "valleys" for water and we kept both with water in them because as it was explained to us....our homes here are very dry due to heating in the winter and we should keep both areas filled rather than just one as our direction sheet stated.

We had an egg turner provided for us so there was no turning needed. We were told to cover two of the vent holes with tape until Day 3 and then remove the tape. On Day 18 we were told to replace the tape to increase humidity and remove the egg turner, laying the eggs on the wire "floor" of the incubator.

We candled an egg here and there with a mag lite flashlight and sure enough the babies were developing in there.

Last night we saw that one of the eggs was moving slightly once in a while if you watched carefully. This morning the egg has not moved at all so I am worried. The water ran out in one of the valleys so we quickly lifted the lid and replenished the water this morning and while we were doing this I very quickly lifted held the flashlight to the one egg I saw moving last night to see if I could tell if the chicks beak was in the air cell. It was not.

I am constantly looking in there going blurry-eyed trying to detect any movement, but nothing so far.

I am praying that the man at the farm did not give us the wrong advice and maybe the humidity was too high?
sad.png
The air cell is not as big as I have seen pictured on some web sites. The farm only provided a little thermometer to set in there for temperature reading so I have no idea what the humidity level has been. We just went on his instructions.

It's only 11am on the morning of Day 21 so maybe it's too soon to worry but I can't help myself.

Send some good vibes and thoughts this way....we will be so sad if our chicks developed but died because of something we did wrong. This is our first time doing this so it's rough waiting.

Last edited:
I have been there before!! Bless your heart, good vibes are being sent your way.........I hope all turns out well.
I was always told to keep those two holes closed until the last 3 days and keep temp. 101-102 in a still air incubator........however I know there are variences and people have had success. If they are late hatching it usually means the temp was too low in the incubator..try to fight the urge to help the babies when they do start trying to hatch, they need to pull it off on their own if they are to survive.
If still no luck, try over again and get a digital temp and humidity control so you can be sure what the actual inside readings are.
Hope that helps,
Cindy

6:12 pm and no sign of anything happening.
sad.png

Guess we'll have to give it one more day but I think because we saw that egg moving and it has stopped now, we must have done something wrong.

I read so much about not disturbing the eggs so late in the incubation period I was afraid to candle them again.

I am thinking maybe I should wait another day and if nothing happens tomorrow I guess I have nothing to lose by candling them to check.

Thanks for the good wishes and advice. I'll keep ya' posted.

Back
Top Bottom