Day 21

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SRB-1, Jan 10, 2015.

1. SRB-1

SRB-1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2014
    This is the first time incubating for me it is day 21 and no dimpling or pip should I be concerned? I set eggs on a Sunday night and took them out of the turner on day 19 in the morning and set them on their side. Candled them on night 19 all seemed to be good to me by good I mean growing, moving and good heavy red blood veins and the air sac looked to be a good size from what I have read. My temp has been a consistent 99 degrees and humidity at 50 to 60 % throughout setting now I am maintaining 65 to 70 %. I am using a Hovabator 2362 E circulated air type.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If you set the eggs on a Sunday, they should also hatch on a Sunday. And, your forced air bator should be set at 99.5 degrees.
    So, I think you may be a day off and your temp a bit low. No big deal locking them down a day early, and the low temp will likely just delay them a tad. Hang in there!

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yes, 21 days is not magic. There are a lot of different things that can cause eggs to be a day or more early or a few days late, heredity, humidity, how and how long the eggs were stored before incubation started, and just basic differences in the eggs. A big one is temperature. If the average incubation temperature is a bit high, the eggs can be early. If it is a bit cool they can be late. But things other than temperature can cause them to be early or late. If mine hatch within 24 hours of the 21 day target, I consider then right in time.

An egg does not have a full day’s worth of development two seconds or two hours after incubation starts. It takes 24 hours for it to have a day’s worth of development. It is intuitive to think that Day 1 starts when you put them in but if you are going to count days, wait 24 hours before you say Day 1. The day of the week you put them in is the day of the week the 21 days is up, in your case Sunday.

There is no reason for you to get concerned yet. You are on schedule.

4. SRB-1

SRB-1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2014
    Thanks for the great info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by