Day 22-23 hen laying on 14 eggs- give up? UPDATE 6/22-PIPS!!!

sonew123

Poultry Snuggie
11 Years
Mar 16, 2009
onchiota NY
My broody BO hen-for her first time- is sitting on 14 eggs-today is day 22-23? I check everyday and even stole one to candle 2 days ago-totallt dark :) but still nothing-how much longer do I give her until we take them from her or they rot and exploid? When I do take them from her will she continue to be broody?

6-22-09
day 24-I got a pip! ahhh tonight was the night I was giving up I went to hand feed and water her-I know she's spoiled-and I lifted her to check and saw a big pip! I'm sooo excited.....I hope all goes well--how am I going to sleep knowing my babies are hatching out there? Ill have to get a little earlier than normal to check on them?? I hate having to go to work when this is happening then I have a softball game I wont be home for 12-14 hours!

UPDATE TOMORROW PICTURES TOO IF ALL GOES WELL-

Last edited:
:-( OK- Its so hard waiting for her-It saddens me if none hatch because she never moves such an awesome first time mommy!

I have a batch of eggs I thought would never survive under a broody because she got trapped off her nest for several hrs. One morning I was candling and it was all darkness and then I held it to my ear...... peeps! NOT ALL of my eggs that were solid had peeps, but one did so I had hope. And now I have 3 chicks and one pipped!

If you don't see anything by the end of day 24, take her off and make certain she gets some food and water and watch out for that broody poop... STINKY.

I hope you at least get a pip or two.

Quote:
Oh I do-I realize that if she was starving she would stretch over to eat and drink what I provided for her but...Im a sucker and want to pamper my mamma hen-so I hand feed her and hold the water container to her beak a couple times a day to make sure-I couldn't sleep otherwise-I checked again before I headed in the house for the night no pips! Poor mommy-I think I'm taking it much harder than she would. Ill let her stay on them until Tuesday only because I will be so busy-maybe thats even better for me!-out of 14 I was hoping for most of them...then half now a few! I have 5- 4 days olds of hers in a brooder I hatched out-I so want to give them to her to go with her other chicks that hatches out. Other wise Ill have babies in the house for another few weeks again! bleah!!

Quote:
I have 5- 4 day old chicks--I hatched them out the same time hers were due so I could put them togther but thats not really working out :-( Id be afraid that she hurt them being so much older..

Back
Top Bottom