Day 22 and nothing???? :(

motor97405

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 17, 2010
should I start worrying??? We did not candle these eggs because we did not know we could until too late!! What should we do?? Yes first timers!! lol

I guess if I was you, I would check to make sure there are no pips in the eggs. If not, then I'd candle them and see if you can see any movement of any kind...you should see something...even if it is tiny. I checked 3 of my eggs after all the other ones had hatched and couldn't see any movement telling me they were dead..

Yes kinda on humidity not for sur do not have the right thermometer for that getting one today because we would like to do this again.. On the candleing what is the best way to do it at this point??? Thank you for all the feed back and help!!

You can candle but do it quick. I've done it only 2 times since your not really suppose to move them anymore. Check if the airbubble looks right. Then if theres a little movement

At this late in incubation, you will not typically see any movement while candling. What you can look for is if a chick grew. If one is in there, the majority of the egg should look black with light showing the air cell (if the chick has not pipped). If a chick pipped internally, you'll notice the beak inside the air cell. Let us know how it goes.

Also, depending on what thermometer you used, it may have been off which can delay or ruin a hatch. I highly recommend getting a good digital one that meausres temp and humidity for future hatches. Taylor and Accurite make pretty good models that are priced fair.

How do you candle the best though we did try at one point but could not see anything???

I would just let them sit in the incubator a while longer. If the temperature has been a bit low they can take longer than the usual 21 days. I have had 2 chicks hatch on the 26th day under a broody in the last week, so you still may get chicks,
Sandie

as crazy as it may seem i am having eggs hatch right now that have been under a broody for 4 WEEKS. as bad as it sounds the past week i kept looking at the eggs and checking for pip.
so far, over the past 2 days i have had 2.5 chicks hatch out of 11 (2.5 because one is still hatching. when ever they pip i chip the egg some to make sure it has access to air sometimes pulling the membrane off the beak. this recent chick that is hatching i could only chip so much away then it started bleeding. so i added a few drops of water on it and set it back under the hen. that was at 3.pm and at 8.30 it is still waiting. the veins are still there. but it has part of its foot sticking out and i tugged one of its wings out a ways and gently crushed the shell in my hand to create cracks everywhere. i will see tomorrow how it goes.

i think i will have a chick hatching under the broody over a period of a few more days since i was dumb and added eggs over a period of days...

i doused the chicks in dusting powder because the broody is infested with lice. then tried to get the broody as best as i could. and put some on the eggs too. DE and some dusting powder. i have the broody blocked in its nest box with scratch and water.

course you are using an incubator..... but leave it in there or help it hatch.

Back
Top Bottom